Thread: Hole in head

bravm3pwr

Hole in head

I just notice there are some holes in the head of my biggest discuss and one of my smallest. This is my setup:

40 Gal tank
    6 discus of various sizes 4.5 – 2”. New 75 gal tank is cycling at the moment.
    Change water at least a few times a week.
    Water temp is 87 F.

I have started treating the whole tank with Metrozol, added 4 Table spoon of salt and raised the temp to 90F.

I would like to know if this disease is contagious?
    Is there anything else I should do to?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Hole in the head disease or head and lateral line erosion, as it is more correctly known, is thought to be diet related. As such it is not necessarily contageous, however, if the conditions are sufficient to affect two fish in the tank, then the others could also become affected.

Now, Metro is the best drug to treat the condition, but you must address the tank conditions as well. Change at least 20% of the tank water daily for the next two weeks, being sure to syphon any mulm off the bottom. What diet are you feeding. Discus require a varied diet of good quality dry food combined with a variety of frozen food e.g. brine shrimp, beef heart, blood worms, mysis shrimp, minced prawn and minced fish fillets. Some will also relish spiriluna flakes. An occasional live treat of brine shrimp or mossie wrigglers is also a good idea.

Have a look in the Foods section to see some recipes for a discus diet you can make at home. HTH.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

bravm3pwrh
    Thanks ladyred.

I have only been feeding them bloodworms, beef heart and color bits. I’m going to be doing a %50 water change everyday for the next few weeks. I thought it was ok feeding them bloodworms but evidently I was wrong.

frozen bloodworms are ok, but in moderation...

Ladyred has got it spot on... Variety, Variety, Variety and good water