Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just an Egg
    Well I couldn't find PP anywhere but the LFS did have Prazi which they said would take care of any parasite problem as well. And I do remember people posting on this forum that Prazi does a good job.

So I transfered the surviving babies (There's only around 15 remaining) into a 10G tank with a brand new sponge filter and completely new water.
    Didn't have time to cycle the new filter so I used those insta-cycle products that you dump in just before putting fish into the tank. Hope that works.

The instructions on the Prazi bottle said to use 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons so I put in what looked like a half teaspoon. Am I supposed to let this sit for 3-4 days like the instructions say?

I feel like I should still be doing daily water changes and re-dosing.

With no cycled filter you need to be doing 100% water changes each day. The cycle product you put in will be useless as you will get rid of it as you change water, and they do not work instantly anyway. You can treat eith prazi, it will work, but PP is better, you shuld be able to get it at your local chemist shop.

Good luck
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    To the experienced discus keepers here, I just want to know what do you do when mixed discus strains breed and produce fry of poor quality? Also what if the breeding is by total chance in a community tank?

Do you dispose of them before they reach maturity, or feed it to predatorial fish? Isn't there ethics involved when you end the life a fish for no reason other than that it's ugly?

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by sf108
    To the experienced discus keepers here, I just want to know what do you do when mixed discus strains breed and produce fry of poor quality? Also what if the breeding is by total chance in a community tank?

Do you dispose of them before they reach maturity, or feed it to predatorial fish? Isn't there ethics involved when you end the life a fish for no reason other than that it's ugly?

Thanks for your time.
    Unfortunately, you cannot stop fish from pairing in a community tank. Of course sometimes it is a good thing if two of the same strains get together, but if you keep a mixed tank the chance is that they will make a poor pair.
    But, the chances are very slim of any fry making it to maturity in a community tank anyway. There are too many fish who will see either the eggs or the fry as food. I know of no-one who has ever raised good/any fish in a community tank, they are just another form of food.

For me, and many others the whole point of letting fish breed is to either sustain and/or develop the strain. We pick fish with the very best features/traits and cross breed them, line breed them to produce a fish that is better than the one before.
    If you think that a discus can lay 200 - 300 eggs, every 10 - 14 days, (sometimes more frequently) should all these fish be raised to maturity? Will they all be the very best quality? will they all be as good or better that the ones before. Of course not. We have to, if we are to maintain standards weed out the poor/deformed fish first. This is explained in Andrew's book 'The Naked Truth' very well. As the fry grow we can see the different traits showing and again cull the ones that are not the best. This goes on until you have maybe 10-20 fish left to work with.

Too many times we see the result of peoples 'cross breeds' in local shops. These fish imo are the ones that should have been culled, but people do not have the heart to do it, possibly do not know how to cull humanely and pass them on to friends and shops to get rid of them, or try to make money from them.

Imo, if you want to experience raising fish do it, be it a bad pairing or not. But, you must be prepared to cull these fish humanely if they are not better or something special.
    Mixing PB's and Blues strains produces heavily peppered fish, how many times do we see them?? Unless you have many years to try to breed this out, why bother, do it right and breed true.

Just my opinion, hth

steve
    Why me ?

Wrigglers
    Every discus bred is a beautiful introduction to the aquarium. I am not trying to preach but this is usually what you get when you breed an almost homozygous Pigeon mutant with a homozygous turquoise......very dirty-looking offspring are produced across the board. This is known as Hybrid vigour and Pigeon possessing strong and influential genes, manifesting themselves and overwhelming when involved in a hybrid cross.

With this simple interaction....which is a common occurances back in the 90's and my good friend Jack Watley got gift of Pigeon blood discus from Kitti of Thailand and when he crossed them with his own Watley discus....these dirty-looking discus appeared and every single discus....across the board......whether they are Pigeon based or Turquoise based were covered with this overwhelming black peppering and Jack immediate sold them as Jack Watley's Panda Discus.

In these modern days, many designer discus carry a part of pigeon in their genetic make-up (though not all and yours is one example....the Turquoise).....some pigeons genes are so constantly suppressed...that the pigeon genes are unable to express fully. Further to that, not only peppering is transferred to the 'non-Pigeon phenotype'........but because of the many stages of outcrossing, instead of the peppering, the light-colour tissue texture was able to be transferred to and bond to the other phenotype and hence, we have many very clean Pigeon-like discus...which in fact are not Pigeon and shouldn't be called that when they don't reveal any peppering.

Some may say it is a dilution from the selective breeding. Though there is some truth.....selecting fairly diluted peppering of a Pigeon and crossing with the same may never lead to a perfectly Pigeon-like discus totally without peppering.

Back to the topic. Yes, yours is most likely the infamous 4 weeks syndrome as it did not happen in the first 2 weeks.....and the discus fry die for no apparent reason.

To be 'Four week syndrome', discus fry should start dying after 4 weeks for no apparent reason and even feasting or ingesting food a few hours before it drops dead and without symptom.

In your case, I am unsure because all your fry look stressed and you told us your fry have not been eating for many day. The high peppering observed is like stress or falling sick....... but again, on the other hand, they are all about the same size depicting that they are not affected by bacterial infection or the bacterial black disease which we see melon-seed sized falling sick and part turning black, loss of appetite and with high mortallity.

My success with 4 week syndrome is Dipterex and salt long bath...and follow-up with antibiotics treatment as discussed in my second book. It could stop mortality as far as my experimentations.

Take care,
    Andrew
    'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
    'Discus, The Naked Truth'
    Author
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e.php?ref=home

Just an Egg
    Week 11 update:

So the Prazi seems to have done the trick in a hospital tank. All the surviving babies are back to normal and eating ravenously.
    I've got 13 surviving fry back in the 29g tank doing 50% water changes daily.

Andrew,
    I'll try to get those pictures for you tonight.

Wrigglers
    Thanks
    Author

Just an Egg
    Pics for Andrew:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_7877_211.jpg   img_7876_101.jpg   img_7872.jpg  

Just an Egg
    babies up close
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_7885.jpg  

Wrigglers
    Sorry buddy,

the photos are not sharp and if I enlarge them for presentation....might not be able to bring the message over. Try again???

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Author