Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Matt, you took the words from my mouth. I fully agree with your sentiments on this. If Zeph' can find another Marlboro or RT to match his existing fish, then fine. But like you say Matt, totally zero quality fry imo.
    If you want to raise them Zeph and learn from them ok, but please do not try to pass them on or sell them.

I try not to upset people, but this type of random breeding practice should be stopped for everyone's benefit. Too many unsuspecting new discus keepers get fobbed off with this type of fish, pay stupid money for them, and for me they are all culls.

Steve
    Why me ?

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Lets just focus on his question and lets try to help him.

I understand your point guys but please lets not discourage mr. Zephaniah.

To answer your question, we encountered that kind of situation also.. Just make sure to keep the waters clean, give them medicine if they look sick.

Try bloodworms as first move. and try to place heater on your tank. Hope that helps. Good luck ;D

We have already asked for the water parameters and water change regime, there has been no answer....... other observations have been raised.
    What more can be done without input from Zeph?
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    Yeah I know about the poor quality fry. I've been reading a lot on these forums and knew someone would bring that up.
    I'm let them breed to see if I could actually raise fry successfully before purchasing new fish. Consider this a learning experience for me.

There's about 20 fry in a 29 gallon tank.
    pH is ~6.5
    Temp is 82 degree F
    Zero ammonia
    Zero nitrate
    Zero nitrite

I do a 50-75% water change every day.

And chill about the no input thing. I posted last night and just woke up to reply. I am on the other side of the world from most of you guys.

I have a couple of friends I plan to give the babies to if they get big enough. They want to see if they can keep discus before purchasing some higher quality ones.

Zeph, nothing meant by no input, I know you are in the US, so times and posting do not always happen immediately. Being in the UK, I am normally here on my own too

If anything I would up the temp a bit, 84-86 would be better. You should be showing some NitAtes, not sure why you are not? So are they just eating the flake? Also, the ones that are on the bottom, are they belly gliding? do they swim normally them fall to the bottom ?

I understand why you are trying to raise these fish, it takes time and effort to bring on fry just to prove to yourself you can do it, you are doing ok so far, but your ethics on 'raise to learn' are not always followed by the unscrupulous greedy breeder. This is where I have a problem, not with you though

Steve
    Why me ?

Just an Egg
    I live in a 950 sq foot 2 bedroom apartment with 2 kids in NYC. My wife complains I take up too much space as it is with my two tanks. Plus Con Ed here charges an arm and leg. You should see my electric bill.

There's no way I'm serious about breeding and selling these things. This is just a part time hobby and a once and done deal with these fry.

Yeah, they have no problem eating the flake food. Just wierd.

I did find a couple of them dead yesterday for the first time in a month. They were floating on the surface sideways before I threw them out. Figured that was normal to lose a few of them during this process.

They all seem to like hiding near the sponge filter before coming out to feed.

If anything, they seem to float to the top when they have a problem, not fall to the bottom.

There is a sponge filter and a back filter with an airstone in the tank.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Good to hear you response.

Larvae
    Congrats on getting past day 40.
    Some of us haven't got to day 1 yet.
    (Still growing them up).
    I might need to re-think some of the potential pairs.

Old Dave

Just an Egg
    So I don't know what's going on but I keep finding 1-2 dead each day now.

The ones in trouble float on their sides at the top before sinking to the bottom.

Seems like I'm catching that week 4 syndrome at week 8....

Now even the flake food hardly gets touched.

Perhaps I need to up the water change regime?

Larvae
    As I said earlier, I'm no breeder but if you are having a parasite episode you could be harbouring cysts in the sponge filter.
    Give it a good clean in waste tank water, but a spare matured filter is probably the better option.

Have you medicated them up to this point?
    I suspect to not medicated is to see more fry die.

Do you have access to pp (Potassium Permanganate)?

You need advice from more experienced discus keepers on whether or not this will help.

JMO, Good Luck.

Old Dave