Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    Doxycline is a very good drug, i just find it a little expensive the dose is the same as erethromyacin 15mg/L repeated daily with a 25-30% water change inbetween.
    just gave it to you, tetracycline is useless everything is resistant to it now.

erethromyacin has always worked well for me, i use it for blue green algae and the filter has never been effected.

sorry jothy, I'm a bit stressed out & thought you were giving me the erethromyacin dose, because the Doxycycline was too expensive.

My bad for reading in a rush

Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    tetracycline is useless everything is resistant to it now
    I knew that about tetracycline & I knew that Doxycycline & oxytetracyline were both related to (or similar to) tetracycline, but I didn't realise that they were so close that if tetracycline doesn't help anymore due to the resistance issue, that they are in the same boat too.

Well no point getting either of them, if that's the case.

Ok, I'll talk to my vet again tomorrow. I know he has to order the erethromyacin in.

Thanks again
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Sorry again Jothy, when you said tetracycline is usless, were you also meaning Doxycycline is too. I thought at first you were, but in your earlier post you said it was a good drug, but expensive.

Sorry for being a bit dense here.

doxycline is still good, its just diffrent enough to work, tetracycline (old school drug) is useless, i havn't used oxytetracycline but if its just tetracycline with an extra oxygen atom or hydroxyl group i dont think it will be much better, give the doxy a go, just monitoe daily for ammonia spikes, keeping your ph low and a little salt in the water should see you through.

Thanks again Jothy. Now that I have the dosage, I'll ask the vet if he can do the script.

Things are are going down hill for these fish though. I will be lucky to save them, but I have to try.

Blue Diamond Discus
    Gosh Robyn thats a terrrible shame. I hope they pull through for you.

Hi lpiasente

They've not eaten since I bought them in the first days of May.
    One in particular, has gone down hill really fast since Saturday.
    On 4 June, they looked like this 1st pic. Still not good (note the redness, which shouldn’t be there)

The following pic is what one of them looks like now. The other one is still pretty much the same as the first pic

This one can no longer swim upright. Head standing is the only way he can get around. Swimming action is terribly, terribly jerky. Sunday night, he was actually floating on the surface & I thought he would die that night. At least he has stopped floating, but I don’t think it is looking good for him.
    More of that strange discharge was in the tank on Monday night. Pics show 2 pieces, but there were 4. Looks the consistency & size of some silicone squeezed out of a tube. I scoped it & there was nothing moving. I figure it’s not poop, maybe stomach lining, but I really have no clue.

Robyn get that stuff tested, we need to know what it is.

Hi Jothy

ATM, I don't have any (as last night there was none in the tank). I will stop by my home tonight, before I go to the vet, & if there is any in the tank, I will take it with me. I tried to get a pic of what it looked like under my scope, but the scope & it's camera attachment are new & I couldn't figure out how to save the pic. I could get the pic on my pc screen, but couldn't save or attach it to a post.

No-one I have shown this picture to has seen anything like it. I've shown the pics to the vet too & he is stumped.

At least I am able to get the meds now, as the vet has the Doxy in stock (but couldn't prescribe it before without the dosage amounts). The Erythromycin wasn't available straight away, as it had to be ordered in. If nothing else goes wrong tonight, at least I can get the antibiotics in the tank tonight.

Blue Diamond Discus
    My heart goes out to you. You just feel like getting food and shoving it in their mouth. Fingers toes and all crossed for you that the meds can pull them through. xx