Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Hi Dave

I don't believe my fish problem was hexamita. These poops my discus had were much, much thicker than those I've seen pictured for hex.

Nothing saved my discus in the end. 3 out of 18 survived, but I don't think I cured them as such. More that they got sick and managed to somehow pull through, whereas the others didn't. I assume they are now carriers, so they live on in their own isolated tank.

Have you tried levamisole or prazi? They are also over the counter, but they don't treat hex but other internal worm types.

I didn't try dimmitrol & don't know anything about it other than it is for heartworms in dogs. I did once try some sort of dog wormer on some apistos, but I don't recall the brand or the active ingredient. Those fish were still eating, so I used it in food.

It sounds like you are doing your research! I wish I had some advice to offer on the dimmitrol use. Perhaps someone else here will know more. I am keen to hear how this turns out for you. Good luck.
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

TW,

I've just stumbled on this thread and wanted to offer my condolences. From your posts it sounds like you tried everything available to you and you take solice in that at least.

Can you let me know a bit about the Doxycycline you were using? I have access to 100mg tablets and was hoping you can share some of your findings with this med', i.e dosage, ailments to use it on etc.

Cheers,
    Swampy.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    tw Dimmitrol arrived two weeks after i ordered it. Had to try metro instead 10day method. Also tried levamisole and prazi. Same result as you had, no cure. Second fish with symptoms trying a second dose of levi and prazi. Just set up my microscope Olympus CH30 and camera will do slide poo specimens to see if I can identify problems. Did you ever get poo samples examined under microscope

Quote Originally Posted by swampy1972
    Can you let me know a bit about the Doxycycline you were using? I have access to 100mg tablets and was hoping you can share some of your findings with this med', i.e dosage, ailments to use it on etc.
    My Doxycycline was a powder form, prescribed by my vet. It's an antibiotic and used specifically to treat the septicaemia, which it did cure. It's not a wormer, so it was never intended that it would help with the internal parasite problem.

Quote Originally Posted by corlis
    tw Dimmitrol arrived two weeks after i ordered it. Had to try metro instead 10day method. Also tried levamisole and prazi. Same result as you had, no cure. Second fish with symptoms trying a second dose of levi and prazi. Just set up my microscope Olympus CH30 and camera will do slide poo specimens to see if I can identify problems. Did you ever get poo samples examined under microscope
    Hi Dave, sorry you aren't having success either. Jothy and my vet did have a look at the poop samples under the scope, but this is really best done with fresh samples. The poop contained stomach lining, as well there were parasites present. Whatever type they were, they didn't respond to the usual meds that are known to work (and with which I've had previous success).

I know this sounds harsh and is not what you probably want to hear ..... but if I had that time over again, I would have tried the usual meds & when they failed, I would have humanely sent the infected fish to fish heaven. Trying to save them for such a long period of time caused the death of so many other fish.

Particularly if I had fish with the poop that looked like mine had, I would be very concerned. It's not the usual way fish with worm's poop looks, so this signalled that something different was happening. My vet, who is a fish keeper, had seen nothing like it. Neither had Jothy, who is very experienced.

I wish I had better advice to offer and I do hope you find your answer with your scope. Good luck. Keep us posted on the outcome.
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Wrigglers
    hi TW
    I am just going through your experience as we are talking ,my 3 years very healthy 17 cm marlboro red discus suddenly started discharging white poop similar to your photos (like bits of white silicon) ,this was about 8 weeks ago ,he has no other marks on his body and looks very healthy ,just does not eat.
    i have treated him with Big L ,praziquantel ,metronidazole ,then i have taken him to the vet where he was tube fed with Enroflaxacin oral antibiotic daily for 7 days,he had some live black worm for a day but stopped again, my vet think that he has got fish T.B ,but the only way to prove that is to euthanize him follow by an autopsy and when i see him i cannot get my self to do it ,at least not yet , i have got 9 discus which if i have fish T.B in the tank they all will have it or they are carriers .
    4 days ago i put him back in the display tank and treated the tank with kusuri hopping that might start him to eat ,nothing has happened yet.
    what ever internal infection he has got ,has not completely gone away.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150513_213759.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	20935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150513_213820.jpg 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	20936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150513_213850.jpg 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	20937

Sorry to hear about that sayid.

Fish TB is a nasty systemic infection, it can fester under the surface for years not doing much then just pop up.

treatment is near impossible. I wouldn't get any more fish for a while and wait and see what happens to this one. should he look like he\s going to go belly up take him to the vet and get the autopsy done.

Wrigglers
    thanks ILLUSN for getting back to me .
    Yesterday morning i came to conclusion that his times are coming to end even though he was looking very healthy but still refusing to eat. any way he is with the vet and i am waiting for the result of autopsy .
    in the meantime i have got a UV 24 W and a UV 8 W sterilizers to help with reduction of bacteria ( i have no proof that it works but have no choice ).Diana Walstad advices to remove the surface lipid by using a surface skimmer but i am waiting for the results of autopsy first . i have got 2 other discus who are razor thin and despite eating they are loosing weight ,the result of autopsy will clear that.
    Thanks for your interest and i will keep you up with the update.
    sayid

Wrigglers
    hi illsun'
    i have send you some detail under "my discus on hunger strike " but the short result from the vet was that there was no parasite ,there was abnormal large mass of cancer and no mycobacteria i.e fish T.B so i am happy.
    thanks for your interest.
    sayid