Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

What the heck is this ????

My 2 white pearl albinos have not eaten since I got them (beginning of May). At first, their poops looked thin, white, jellyish & segmented - which seemed like a job for levamisole. I treated twice with levamisole, with a break of around 7 days in between. Didn't seem to help - but the poops started to change.

Poops remained white & jellyish, but became thicker. So after a week med free, out came the metro. I am dosing 500mg per 10 US Gallons, repeating the dose twice a day. Epsom salt is also added with each dose of metro. Water change 50% once daily. I have just finished day 7.

Today's poops are by far the most gelatinous, biggest, glugiest ones I've seen. So things seem to be getting worse?

Am I on the right track with the metro?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

definately an internal paracite, metro would be my drug of choice, i think its time for a trip to vet, a quick look under a microscope will tell you exactly whats causing that poo, I've never seen anything like it before.

Hi Jothy, thanks for reply.

Already on Day 8 now of metro. Overnight, the sample sort of evaporated - so there's nothing to scope ATM. Hope there's no fresh stuff in the tank when I get home.

I've never seen anything like it before either. I wonder if it is poop or stomach lining?

When you say it's time for a trip to the vet, what do you think I should do. I get my metro by visiting Mike's surgery out Campbelltown way. Were you meaning that I should take a sample there to be scoped?

I have bought myself a scope, but confess I am intimidated by it & haven't been able to bring myself to use it.

I'd take a poo sample to the vet, if you have a scope at home, just draw me an image of what it looks like and i can have a go through my text books of trying to Id it for you. but A vet would be better.

Hi Jothy, still trying to figure out my scope. It came with a camera & that's what stumping me - well that & also that there's been no more of the weired stuff to scope. If there's more, I'll try to get a scope pic or drawing up.

I didn't think anyone ate any of Mal's black worms I left for them yesterday, but maybe someone did have a few bites, as there was some normal poops. Don't know if it was either of the albinos or if it was the stunted one that is sharing QT with them.

They are looking a little red - mainly around their face/nose area & also where their fins meet their body. Anyone know what this means? Pics follow

Red base to the fins shouts bacterial infection to me, a good AB should work
    Why me ?

What would be a good AB? I have Tetracycline. Also have Trichlorfon & FM&G.

Or do I need to visit my friendly vet? What about Kanamycin - is it better? I think I need a script for that.

I guess I need to finish off the metro first? Just about to put in the 1st dose of Day 10. In another thread a few months back, I read where your good friend Paul said his vet said for metro dose for minimum of 10-14 days. Should I go all the way to Day 14, or give up at Day 10?

How many days break should there be in between swapping from metro to some sort of AB?

10 days should be fine, there are a few good meds out proably the best is gentamyacin (sp?) travels across the gills very well, if your seing your vet ask for a script, other than that erethromyacin targets gram negatives which should leave your filter ok, most of the other broad spectrum meds kill all bacteria.

Hi Jothy, are say that both gentamyacin & erethromyacin will leave my bacteria ok, or is it just the erethromyacin that is ok for bacteria?

Do you know what the dose rate is? It would help if i can let him know what the right dose rate would be?

gentamicin dose is 7.8mg/L 1 treatment only is needed. it will stay active for a week, this is a problem with discus cause i like to do daily water changes.

erethromyacin dose is 15mg/L repeated daily with a 25-30% water change inbetween (i like this cause it gives me a chance to keep the water quality up), i usually treat for 5 days in opther contires they treat for 10 due to antibiotic resistance, my fish show recovery within 72hours and i figure the extra 2 days is enough to keep down mutants.

when using any drugs like this treat in a hospital tank.