Thread: L-Number Plecs

Wrigglers

L-Number Plecs

Since these are "armoured" catfish, does this mean they are hardier than the standard bristlenose? I know they grow a lot bigger too, but what size do they get to? Are they like clown loaches in the way that they take forever to get to max size? I also heard they poo a lot, is this true?

Also, what is the cheapest/most common type available? Approx what price are we looking at?

Thanks

these fish are much much MUCH more fragile than your "normal" bristlenose i keep 7 species and they are chalanging.

the best advise i can give you is google a few L numbers you like, some are carnivours, some omnivors some almost strict vegeterian and some that subsit on mainly wood.

some dont grow any bigger than 10cm others get to nearly 3 feet.

PLEASE look into them VERY carefully before buying any.

SnakeSkin Discus
    If you look into, you'll discover bristlenose are infact an L number pleco but as they are so common and cheap everyone seems to forget that.

I'd say majority of L numbers we have in Australia don't grow much bigger then 15cm. There just isn't enough of a demand for the larger species most the time so they are not bought in.

It depends on the species, food fed, water quality, frequency of water changes, temperature, sex etc etc as to how fast they grow. Some are exceptional growers while others can take a long time to reach maturity.

The cheapest available L number is bristlenose. They start at about a $1 and can fetch up well into the hundreds for unusual morphs.

NOTE - Bristlenose in Australia are almost definantely a cross between different species that look the same so if you buy bristlenose, don't go labelling them as their L number.

Quote Originally Posted by mcloughlin2

I'd say majority of L numbers we have in Australia don't grow much bigger then 15cm. There just isn't enough of a demand for the larger species most the time so they are not bought in.

Nah all the big ones are here .... Pseudi's, Mega's, the big Panaques ...

mostly in my tanks

"If it isn't a wild its way too mild ! "

SnakeSkin Discus
    If only we were all lucky enough to have the tanks you do Taksan

Tiny Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by taksan
    Nah all the big ones are here .... Pseudi's, Mega's, the big Panaques ...

mostly in my tanks
    It would be great to see some pics... got any handy?

Just an Egg
    I am only just starting to learn about these L series Cats and I like the L333s and L066s. They are pretty much all I have looked at. Where is the place to get these more exotic catfish in OZ?

private preders are your best bet, 333's are more common now then ever, jump onto a pleco forum and browse the clasifides there

Larvae
    I have L066 for sale if u are interested
    3-4cm $100ea.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    This fish has a lot..