Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Ghost Knives + Tetras and Rams?

Hi again guys.
    Just thinking about what to place in my first discus tank and thought a Ghost Knife would be good plus some rummynose and/or cardinals and a couple of Rams...hopefully a guy and girl .
    Just wondering whether this combination would b ok or not?

Thx
    Make sure you do your reading!
    I know its helped me!

Just an Egg
    Ive herd that Ghost Knife fish prey on tetras. So might want to be careful there lol

Blue Diamond Discus
    GKF are awesome fish but they will prey on small tetras.
    Rummy nose and Cardinal tetras are fantastic schooling fish and highly recommended. If you keep these with a GKF besure to purchase ADULTS and not the smaller juvi's your LFS can sell.
    I've never kept rams but believe they too are suited.

Rams and the other small fish will be fine. I wouldn't put in a GKF in with discus at all though.

Why me ?

Just an Egg
    Yea knowing my luck ill go and buy sweet as tetras and wake up the next morning and theyll all be gone....but ill have a nice fat GKF!!!

Thx guys
    Make sure you do your reading!
    I know its helped me!

Blue Diamond Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman
    Rams and the other small fish will be fine. I wouldn't put in a GKF in with discus at all though.

oops got one in with mine. Why shouldn't they be kept together?

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by lpiasente
    oops got one in with mine. Why shouldn't they be kept together?
    Good question? I know they can be aggressive - but this is usually toward their own kind - generally speaking shouldn't they be fine to keep with Discus and Angels - larger tropical fish?

And if its in a planted tank - a GKF should have decent hiding spots?

I LOVE it when these questions pop up - I ALWAYS learn something new.

I wouldnt put a GKF with your discus. I currently have one in my community tank. He is over 10" long and just on a year old. He has no shame at all in having a go at the angelfish in there. Thankfully they arent stressed by him and are quick enough to get out of his way. Verry interesting fish and fascinating to watch but he is quite agressive and its because of that i am considering moving him on.

Yes i really need to buy another fish!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    From my experience, I've had my BGKF kill 2 large Silver Sharks. My BGKF are about 8 inches and 6 inches. People say you shouldn't keep more than one electric fishes but I haven't had any problems. They both hide and live in the same driftwood cavity.

The bigger BGKF has attacked 2 Silver Sharks that were 8 inches long as well. I was truly surprised as these sharks are fast and given the size, thought it would be left alone. The first thing the BGKF went for are the eyes. The sharks didn't survive for long after that. Both sharks died from their injuries and starvation from being unable to find their food.

That being said, I have 10 Albino Corys. 6 are fairly large, slightly bigger than 1.5 inches. However, I have 4 which are still very small - half an inch. The 2 BGKF have left them alone (likely due to the armoured plating on them). I also have 8 rummy noses (around an inch long) and 8 discus in this tank. Discus ranges from 2-4 inches (mouth to peduncle). I'm still fairly new to discus though. Only had them for just over 6 months.

I believe the attacks was due to me trying to change the diet of the BGKF a bit. I started reducing their peas and introducing beef heart. They didn't seem to go for the beef heart. I have reverted back to peas for my BGKF. If you keep it well fed, I think the BGKF should not pose a problem. I've also put the driftwood which both my BGKF hide in on one end of the tank with plenty of room between that and the open space which the discus usually swim in.

SnakeSkin Discus
    The main issue isn't the BGK killing your discus via attacking them. It's because they are nocternal and will scare discus during the night while they sleep.