Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Larvae
    And now for someting a little different..
    This on one of my 4" non-discus tanks.

The spray bar that came with my aqua Nova filter isn't too long so I decided to play around.

The actual filter to tank return is at the opposite end to the intake. My spray bar is mounted vertically, almost touching the bottom and sprays out at about 45 degrees from the corner. I have the return nearest the cannister and have lengthened the hose to the inlet.
    Just above water level is a T piece with a section of clear plastic tubing
    with suitable holes making another spray bar across the top of the end wall.
    This gives water movement at all levels as well as some surface movement.
    I then use a 36" flexible "air stone" tube along the back wall.
    The actual amount of water movement wouldn't upset plants or fish.

Must get around to some pics.
    Do you like my 2 cannisters in series?

Old Dave

if running 2 filters in series DO NOT POWER THE 1ST CANISTER! if you do you can over preassurise the 2nd canister resulting in moter failure (best case) or failure of the filter seal (top flies off filter, tank drains, fish die, heater burns house down).

you get some flow rate reduction as well, the reduction i got with my old 2017 slave canister was ~10% http://www.discusforums.com/forum/vi...ht=2017#113802

Larvae
    Obviously I should have added it to ILLUSN's great post.
    Just re-inventing the wheel !

A friend gave me the cannister but without hoses, seals etc.
    Bought a few seals and that's what I came up with.
    Yup, power is on the second unit, syphon/water pressure from the tank takes care of the first one.

Back to topic, If you don't run much aeration then the longer spray bar is a good idea.

HTH,
    Old Dave

Larvae
    Wow thanks guys!!..

Old Dave thats great, what you've done with the spraybar(s).
    As much as we all know how the Eheim rates, we still try to modify and better it.. .

I can see why you all go that extra bit, you all have lovely Discus.
    Your setups, and being different than the next, certainly is seen in the Discus you keep. they are wondereful!!
    Thats why I come to this site, you guys/gals know your stuff..

Dave do you have any pics of the spraybar setup ? so I can see..

Larvae
    just saw the last post Dave, I will hook up the extra bar, cause yes Im not looking to add air stones or bubble walls..etc..
    Sue

Wrigglers
    I see things slightly differently.

If you have water supply, irrespective of a spray bar or basic open nozzle, at one end and the suction stem at the same end or opposing end, the main difference is the turbulance of the water in the tank.

I've noted from my own experience that having the water supply at one end and suction stem at the other produces less general circulation in the tank. This is simply because the water from the supply (e.g. spray bar) is being projected towards the suction point. Conversely, if the supply and suction points are at the same end, you tend to get flow in one direction at the top of the tank and opposing flow down the bottom of the tank towards the suction point. The reason for this is that the flow volume into the filter equals the flow volume out. To produce a particular flow rate at the tope of the tank means the same opposing flow down the bottom where the suction stem is.

I've setup a 6ft tank predrilled with four 1" holes (see basic schematic below). The black blocks represent sponges over suction points. The two lines at each end of the tank indicate water supply, one from the filter and the other from an external supply for water changes. Valves (A) and (B) allow me to control or balance the suction at each end of the tank to create whatever flow or turbulance in the tank I need.

Hope this helps,

Dwayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fish_schematic.jpg  

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I have a canister with spray bar on a 4ft tank. I have the spray bar at the bottom of the tank and the pick up at the opposite end. I did it this way as I don't like the noise of the water splashing across the surface. I use a sponge filter for airation. I've found this to be excellent as it works like a sweeper on the bare bottom tank pushing any solid waste towards the pick up. It also gives the fish time to get to sinking food before it gets into the current (then they move down stream and pick it up before it enters the pick up).
    Hope this helps

Larvae
    well thats a first, spraybar at the bottom.. sounds like it would work well in BB tanks. I like that idea
    now that Ive had it running for a few days now, I think I will move it more towards thesame end of the intake, (not quite the middle) as I want the bare bottom area at the far end as feeding it wont help much if the bar is over there..
    thanks for all feed back, didnt realize just how many have there own way of placing it, rather than the standard way.
    ..and take into concideration what all is in the tank as far a decor/plant etc goes too.
    hope to pick up my heater tomorrow after work.. and add a few plants.
    Sue