Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tiny Fry

Headstanding discus

I got a pair of blue diamonds about three weeks ago and they are currently in a 4ft QT.

In the last two days the male has started headstanding and has a bulge just behind the middle of it's spine - which I presume is the swim bladder. The bulge isn't huge but it is noticeable.

Last night I treated with epsom salts, 2 teaspoons per 10gallons. There is no noticeable improvement this morning.

I've researched a number of sources which all seem to have conflicting ideas on what the problem is and how to solve it.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Tiny Fry
    No improvement after using epsom salts. I treated with aquari-cycline tablets (contains tetracycline) on Saturday night. I'll see if this has any effect.

Trebs can you get a photo. The swim bladder isn't up near the spine, so it may be something else altogether. Is he doing this all the time, or just sometimes. Still eating, or off his food?
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Tiny Fry
    It's doing it constantly. I can't get a photo at the moment.

The lump is slightly to the rear of the body, half way between top and bottom. It looks like it's got a marble in there. The lump is 2cms long by 1-1.5cms high. It potrudes about 5mm either side of the fish. This is a big well fed fish.

I not sure if he's eating, I have been fasting the tank for a few days after I noticed it in case it was an intestinal blockage - he has plenty of condition so missing a few days won't hurt. I'll see if he's eating today.

Thanks.

It does sound like an intestinal blockage.

what colour is its waste?

Id still persist with more salts at this stage.

what do you think lady red?

Tiny Fry
    No joy with the tetracycline.

He hasen't been eating so can't say too much about his poop. The lump is just behind the middle of the fish just under the lateral line. To my understanding this would be too far back for the swim bladder and gut of the fish.

The owner of my LFS came over on Friday night and had a look. They thought it was worms or nodes. They said to treat with sterazin which I have started to do.

Fish is still stable and looking the same. The longer this goes on the worse for the fish it will be.

It really is a shame when somthing like this occurrs.

You have to question what type of diet this fish was on prior to enetering your own tank.

It might pay to try and find this out.

generally in my experience fish that have a boring diet ( one thing ) or are fed too much LFS meat will be at more risk at bloackage than other fish.

Can i suggest trying live food ( brime shrimp ) natures own clean out food.

Can you do another large water change and a heavier dosage of salt.

This practise is a llittle unorthodox but have you considered cradling the fish and applying a small amount of pressure on the bump ( like your giving it a back rub ). It can work.

keep us posted

Tiny Fry
    It certainly did suffer from a monotonous diet before I got a hold of it. Some one I know had kept it there tank for about a year before I got him. It got mostly dried food (sera discus granuals). It's had a better diet since I've had it. That's the thing, in the first 2 weeks I had it the colour and condition of the fish improved a fair bit from when it was in the old tank. Now this happens.

I'm happy to try salt again but I don't want to disrupt the sterzin treatment. If I can add salt without changing the water and keeping the sterzin course up I'll do that but I don't want to mix a cocktail in there or do any large w/c's.

My feeling still is that the lump is too far back in the fish for it to be the swim bladder/gut. See pic below for an indication of where the lump is located.

I have some frozen brine shrimp, I'll try that. I have some freeze dried eggs I can try to hatch out also.

Thanks for the reply.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails discus_133.jpg  

Tiny Fry
    It's day 8 of the sterizin treatment. I'm pretty sure it isn't worms as the condition hasen't changed since the start of the treatmernt. Also I haven't observed any worms being past. The female who is healthy and uneffected has black poop as per normal.

The condition has not improved but has not dteriorated either. If it was caused by worms I'd expect the size and shape of the lump to change?

He's getting skinny now and hasn't been eating during the treatment. Luckily he's a huge fish which will give me some time but I need to get him eating again soon.

Trebs, this one has got me stumped. The only thing that comes to mind is a tumor now. Have you felt the lump. Is it mobile, like fluid or hard like a growth of some kind. I'll do some research today and see what I can come up with. In the meantime, try to tempt him to eat with some live food.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend