Thread: Hi, Im John

Just an Egg

Hi, Im John

hi there peoples!

just a bit about myself, my names john, i run a take away shop in the western suburbs in melbourne. i use to keep discus as a hobby and then tried to breed them. have bred discus before but i cannot say successfully, my two pairs of discus i purchased back in the year 2000, they were both a pigeon of some sort. they were big egg eaters, one pair just keep spawning and eating their eggs and the other pair spawned about 5 times before they got it right, the fries grew to about 5cent size and then slowly one by one they died..... i couldn't work it out back then but after reading on this forum, i reckon it was flukes that got them. not long after that, we had a power surge while i was away for the weekend and i ended up losing the parents as well. i was a bit disappointed and ended up shutting down my tanks (2x standard 3footer) at the start of this year, i went to thailand and visited some discus farms, they are amazing, ive seen some colours there that you cannot find in aus, i fell in love with them and after 9 years, i decided to start keeping discus again, when i came back, i went and brought 6 tanks and went nuts in purchasing discus, in the span of 3 months i now have 12 tanks and 28 discus. they are 13 adults 5"+ 15 sub adults 3-5"+. i also love cichlids and catfish, i am into l numbers catfish, african and american cichlids.

i always thought i was a experience fishkeeper but relised how little i knew about keeping fish haha. anyway, i hope i can learn more about these wonderful creatures and i really enjoy reading this forum, i think you guys are awesome for sharing your knowledge!

regards

john
    hmmm.....

welcome aboard mate, sounds like you'll fit right in

Just an Egg
    thanks ILLUSN. How long have you been keeping discus? If you dont mind me asking
    hmmm.....

dad was keeping discus before i was born i was doing water changes on dads brown discus and angels tank since i was 6, by 10 i was doing it to earn my pocket money (tight a** dad :P ) but didn't really get into fish seriously (multiple tanks) till i was 16 (discus & betta's). took a break for 3yrs over uni and just kept bettas till the misses and i moved out and decided it was time for better fish. I'm now 29 with a very messy fish room and a very understanding wife, so I've been keeping discus seriously on and off for bout 13 years, but i guess ive been cleaning up after them for 19

Just an Egg
    Cool. So that explans why you are so experienced. do you keep any other fish other then discus at the moment?
    hmmm.....

Just rainbows, peppermints common BN's and a few tetras and loaches in a planted display tank

Just an Egg
    nice, do you breed your fishes or just have them in the display tank?
    hmmm.....

just breeding discus, peps and orange spots, the rest are just there to look pretty.

Just an Egg
    Cool. I got 1 pair of pepps and 13 sub adults which should start breeding soon. Heard they are very difficult to breed compare to standard Bristlenoses.
    hmmm.....

Just an Egg
    Cool. I got 1 pair of pepps and 13 sub adults which should start breeding soon. Heard they are very difficult to breed compare to standard Bristlenoses.
    hmmm.....