Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Medium Discus
    Relays are good for 10A @ 240VAC. ONly high voltrage is contained within the sealed enclosure. the realy boards which are double decker 98 relays) only switch 12VDC.

12VDC is sourced from a 3A power supply which will power not only the relays however the refugium lights, cooling fan, moon light, linear actuator, not all at the same time

The main light is 240VAC switched from one of the blue dedicated relays. I will eventually switch over to PWM controlled LED lights.

There has just been released a 1wire PWM slave device so 1wire can now do fan speed, LED light intensity etc etc.
    My online Aquarium www.rjconway.homeip.net

Hi, I'm New Here!
    wheres the protein skimmer?

Medium Discus
    Protein what ?

I only have small tanks ~90L, and the debate over if they are required for nano tanks continues. I do a 25% water change every 2 weeks and have a moderate fish load. There are some great nano reef sites out there and most do not use a skimmer.

For me I am looking for a silent tank, thus no sump, no skimmer. I do run the HOB refugium with macro algea, heater and chemzorb and a lot of live rock with a good power head (Vortech MP10) in the tank. Sand bed is quite high at the back of the tank ~5"

rob

Free Swimmer
    You dont have to have a skimmer

Medium Discus
    Not really on topic however, its been a while comming however its now up and running. I really need to get new lights however at least its now wet. The actuator on the light frame works great. So easy to work on the tank, simply command the light to raise and it goes up about 18" so you can get into the top of the tank for cleaning or adding stock.

The controller I use is a new 1wire intelligent slave BAE0910 which holds all the program locally. The best thing about this controlelr is that it has 4 PWM outputs so it would be perfect for an LED setup. Maybe a 2011 project.

here is the completed tank. the light hangs from a frame which can go up / down.

This is a "bad" pic of the completed rear of the tank. You maybe able to see the actuator which controls the light

The inside cabinet has the controls for all devices. It uses a DIY 1wire implementation to control all lights pump and fan speed control for cooling

Free Swimmer
    Hey Bad Inferno

Now with the actuator can you control the height of it ?
    Or does it go to the highest point then stop ?

Cheers mate

P.S Bloody good job IMO Sensational stuff
    Although going back to feshwater "ill still be using my control panel "

Medium Discus
    The actuator takes about 10-15 seconds to travel. So at any point you can stop it. In theory you can change the light intensity by positioning the light higher /lower to the water surface.

The great thing is how easy it is to wipe the tank glass or do a water change without having to take the light physically off the tank. The way the tanks setup (skimmerless) I will have to do WC.

My Discus tank still uses auto water changes although its 450 litres so I need to automate that tank. My reef tank only being 100L it a quick change for only 20L

I plan on making a vid and put it on utube on the development of the cabinet, tank and automation.

rob

San Merah Discus
    Any updates?

Medium Discus
    Although the tank is simple in its filtration a WC every 10 days assists in keeping all levels correct. I have no nitrates at all which probably means my macro algea in the rear refugium is working well.

I have added some more live rock since the pics and also a small clam. I know it was probably too early for a clam and my lighting is not perfect however I have been able to position the clam on a large rock ledge and only sits 8" away from my lights (4 x 25w T5's.)

The ability to raise the light for a quick clean of the tank or a wipe of the glass is great.

Free Swimmer
    Looking really good Rob

Cheers mate

Andrew