Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Medium Discus

Borelli (opal) fry emerge - Finally

After having eaten the eggs of their last 3 attempts at breeding, my A.borelli (opal) finally emerged this afternoon with their brood of young - says I breathing a sigh of relief.

The A.nijsseni are going through the motions at present so I expect to make a similar announcement soon.

Anyone with a hongsloi male for sale ? ? ? Ideally in Melbourne

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Congratulatuions, I hope the fry are doing well.

You seem to be having a high sucess rete. Just wondering what the water parameters were? and the tank set-up. Any tank mates?

I have just aquired a pair of A.nijsseni myself. So I would interested in the details there as well, when you get them going.

Cheers.

Medium Discus

Water Parameters

My (Melbourne) tap water is PH neutral. After I set up a new tank it will be approx PH 6 in about 3 weeks. I don't buffer water for most species, the water parameters change predictably and I then undertake frequent small water changes so the parameters don't change too much from there.

Most of my Apistogramma have spawned in PH values around 6. I use dither fish in most of my Apistogramma tanks with these usually being Pencilfish but I have also used Blue-Eyes and Black Neons. I find the Pencilfish (Golden Pencilfish a favourite and dwarf Pencilfish) and the Black Neons to be more suitable than the Blue-Eyes. I have had A.steindachneri breed in a bristlenose tank. Bristlenose is not a fish you want your Apistogramma harrassing as injuries will result. Apistogrammas are pretty protective parents and bristlenose is a pretty tough fish with some nasty spikes / bristles

My A. nijsseni are going through the motions in a tank with a few dozen Orange Spot juveniles so the OS are scheduled for relocation. I find that the nijsseni ain't too keen on sharing their tank space. I'll move the OS and put in some neons I think.

all the best with your pair

Medium Discus

Bad Parents

well - sigh - I cannot find a sign of fry in the bloody tank. I relocated the male as it appeared to be giving the female a hard time. Looks like its back to the drawing board and maybe a relocation of the tank - perhaps a new environment might work!!! says I gritting teeth

Medium Discus

Eggs Gone - Again

Ok, well the female laid another batch of eggs and again these have been eaten. I sense immense frustration from the male to be honest. The next time I see eggs I am relocating the female!! - damn

Hi, I'm New Here!
    bad luck buddy, but dont give up!

Medium Discus

Borelli Fry - Again!

I discovered fry, albeit extremely small, in the tank yesterday. This is the 2nd time I have seen fry in the tank. If these disappear the eggs will be relocated or I shall relocate the female upon the next discovery of eggs. So..... I again have my fingers crossed.

Medium Discus

Fry Still There

Ok, I see fry again today but I ain't too keen to peak too long. I have bred about 7 Apisto species but I have never experienced this type behaviour / scenario before this. The 'standard' 2 foot tank ( 54 litres ) is moderately complex with driftwood, slate, caves and rocks on a gravel base - PH 6. The only other inhabitants are a couple of pencilfish and a few blue eyes. The tanks sits adjacent to an identical tank full of jurensis fry and is in a reasonably busy part of the household. My fingers are still crossed. I was expecting my first fry to emerge last November.

Wrigglers
    How are they going, hassles? do you have any pics of tanks? I've developed a new hobby of looking at other people's tanks for inspiration, its almost as addictive as keeping the fish themselves, you should try it, its so much cheaper! so how is the breeding going? are the same fry still alive today or are they eaten? have they bred again, did you remove female?? please tell me im dying to find out.
    A. trifasciata, A. cacatuoides (Orange Flash), A. bitaeniata, M. ramirezi, too many Discus, a husband and a few kids :P

Medium Discus

Square One Borelli

G'day Kristina

I am back to square 1 with the borelli I'm affraid - I think Im gunna' have to relocate the tank - can't think what else to do other than get a new pair of fish. hmm, maybe I'll relocate them to the bristlenose grow-out tank with 30 plus orange spots, maybe then they will learn to appreciate their environment

This (from my perspective) is seriously bizzare

These fish were originally housed with a trio of L066 juveniles which I relocated to a community tank so they could grow out some.