Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Sump

A 2217 is good for a 200-300L tank with 5L of biomedia, if your tank is a std 4 footer (4x14x18 tall) then each section has just over 14L (24x15x35cm of media capacity if we assume that scoria has 1/2 the capacity of eheim substrate then with just 2 sections if my maths are right you have capacity to filter 500-800L plenty for 2 4 foot tanks, if you use 3 sections of scoria and just 1 section for sponges your capacity jumps to 750-1200L dont you just love sumps

So scoria only has half the capacity of eheim substrate? Is that right?

Each of my sections is 37cm High x 14cm Wide x 34.5cm Deep.

If I use one of my sections for noodles, then I only have 1 section left for scoria (not 2). If I give up the idea of using noodles then I have 2 sections for scoria. The sump was meant to have 3 sections available for either scoria or a mixture of scoria/noodles - not sure why I ended up one compartment short

Is it more important to have a larger capacity of biological media (scoria) then to have a mixture. In other words, would I be better off forgetting the noodles altogether?
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

I would go for the more scoria, more surface area than the noodles, so more helpfull nitrifying bacteria = more fish and yes....sumps are great
    Why me ?

Robyn I'm not saying that it has 1/2 the capacity, I'm just making an assumption, with those measurements then each compartment has 17L of capacity, so 2 sections is 34L (good for 700L-1050L) which is still heaps for 2 four footers

Medium Discus
    Hi Robyn
    My first sump is being delivered tonight (hopefully)...its basically a 3 footer x 18 x 20 ish...Ill be running between 1000 - 1500 litres depending on the system...Im happy theres enough capacity in there to filter that quantity of water.
    Ive made them pretty high (50 cm I think) so I can add extra media if I think it needs it.

Mike

Thanks Mike & Jothy

Steve, i notice that your sections aren't filled to capacity with the grog. Is there a reason for that? Any problem filling them to the top?
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

no, I just need some more, I just evened it out
    Why me ?