Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Sump

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dave

Great looking racking. Welded & hammertone paint. Totally solid.
    I still use the hammer & nails support systems.

Thanks,

Old Dave
    Unfortunately thats not my setup Dave, but mine is also welded and silver hammerited paint too
    Why me ?

Hi Steve

Back again with another question. I had my 4ft converted into a sump, with the divisions based exactly on yours. I did a test run with water. What I see is that in those compartments where I believe the water is meant to overflow from the top into the next compartment, that next compartment is already starting to fill with water when the previous compartment is only 1/2 filled. So the joints must not be sealed properly & they are not water tight.

Does this matter? I am thinking it does, as not all of the water is being forced in the direction intended. But maybe it doesn't matter ??? Thought I'd ask your opinion.

I know some of the compartments don't have the divider reaching to the tank floor, so I am not talking about those ones.

Thanks for your time, once again
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Robyn it really doesn't matter that much. if your worried run a bead of silicone around the joints again and press it in with your finger. that will fill any small gaps left over from construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowman
    Bot the egg crate is resting on some white 1" diameter plastic water pipe so that the water gets an even flow underneath and up through the media.
    Hi Steve, back again

My media must be made of somewhat smaller individual pieces than yours & so would have been small enough to fall through the egg crate grid. So, I have put some fly wire on top of the egg crate & the media sits on it & no longer can fall through. If that was the wrong thing to do, would you mind letting me know.

Another question
    in the section where you have your sponges, you have 2 sorts of sponges. I guess some fine & some course. Is there an order to put them in, ie fine on top or course on top?

Hi Robyn,

A good idea to use the fly wire, as long as it is not made of something that is going to corrode or leech into the water. As for the sponges, yes they are different, but to be honest, they are in randomly. What a will have though is some filter floss over the top of the sponge to catch anything that gets sucked in, like food, or rubbish, so |i can dispose of it when it gets too dirty.

hth
    Steve
    Why me ?

Hi Robyn,

A good idea to use the fly wire, as long as it is not made of something that is going to corrode or leech into the water.
    Not sure what they fly wire is made of, but can find out. I thought it might be aluminium.

If aluminium, will that be ok?

Otherwise, maybe I will buy just a small amount of larger media to use as as a bottom layer & then my smaller media will sit on top & not fall through.

H As for the sponges, yes they are different, but to be honest, they are in randomly. What a will have though is some filter floss over the top of the sponge to catch anything that gets sucked in, like food, or rubbish, so |i can dispose of it when it gets too dirty.
    Ah, I was planning on my soft sponges being the filter floss - but i need fine sponges as well. Okay, off to Clark Rubber next weekend.

Sorry, couldn't edit the above post & I forgot one question.

It is an illusion, or are the tall narrow sections free of media. If they are to be kept free, then unless I do change to a larger chunkier media then, the media I am using is small enough that it will spill under & at least a small amount of media in those tall narrow sections will be unavoidable. Is that a problem?

Sorry for the questions, but I have never had a sump & don't know what things are important & what things are okay to change.

As long as there is sufficient flow, meaning there is no restriction for the water you will be ok, even some of my grog has fallen through, but I am not worried. You'll be ok.
    Why me ?

Thanks. My spillover won't be a small amount though. I suggest I will not be able to avoid about a solid 1-2cm of media in those narrow sections, unless I change to something chunkier. If that 1-2cm is not a problem, then I'll stick to what I have.

If the fly screen is aluminium - will that be ok?

Medium Discus
    Hi Robyn
    Fly screen comes as aluminium or as nylon...the nylon wont rust...the metal stuff has rusted for me before so I assume its not pure aluminium....
    Another option would be to put a piece of course sponge on the bottom.

Im starting up my first sump system this weekend so Im reading this with interest.

Regards
    Mike