Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sump

Hi Robyn,
    As it is just turning over in it'self right now I only have an Eheim 1250 running, which is 1200 ltrs/hour, but once on the system it will have the Eheim 1262 which runs at 3400 ltrs/ hour.

Copy away my friend, I posted so others can see how I did it, I am flattered you like it enough to do it.

Steve

Here are a couple of pics of it in use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sump5_small.jpg   sump4_small.jpg  
    Why me ?

Hi Steve

Thans for info & pics

The media looks to be sitting on something. The bio balls look to have something on top of them. In both cases, is it egg crate?
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Yes it is Robyn.

Bot the egg crate is resting on some white 1" diameter plastic water pipe so that the water gets an even flow underneath and up through the media. The Crate on top of the bio balls is to stop them from getting out, they are a bit boyant
    The plastic pipe is glued in with aquatic silcon running with the flow of water. The yellow hose is just delivering water from the pump to the sponge end.
    Why me ?

Thanks again Steve

Is the 1" diameter plastic water pipe hooked up to anything or are you simply using it to raise the egg crate up a bit?

You have foam going up the side walls, I think. Is that for insulation?

What do you think about lids on sumps. I was thinking of having lids made for mine, as I sometimes have my little lorikeet wandering around the fishroom. Any reason not to have a lid on a sump?

Yes, the plastic pipe is purely to support the crate. The 'foam' you see is 25mm polystyrene, just for insulation, it is normally completely covered, even the lids are covered. I have lids that fit the top in two halves, but there is a 3" gap one end to allow air to be drawn in. I don't know of any reason not to have lids on a sump.
    Why me ?

Thanks for the great info. This will be my first time with a sump. Is the foam glued into place?

Yes, just a few blobs of silicon to fix it on. I didn't go over the top, as long as it hugs the sides it will insulte the tank.
    Why me ?

Larvae

Old Dave's 10 Gallon Warning

Just a little more on sumps...

Like to find out why I had about 10 gallons of water on the floor when setting up the sump on Mrs Old Dave's new tank??

It seems syphons can be a blessing or a curse.
    When I turned the power off I expected the water from the weir to flow into the sump but it just kept on coming!!
    Eventually I woke up that the water was syphoning back down the "RETURN!" hose. Of course I was about 10 gallons too late.

Anyway, the fix.
    You can buy a Non Return Valve from a store that sells agricultural supplies (don't bother with Bunnings they don't even know these things exist ).
    The alternative is to drill a hole (~4-6mm) in the return pipe below the max water level in the tank. mine is about 30mm below.
    This allows a certain amount to return to the sump so the tank doesn't overflow when you put your arm in.

Simply put, the hole in the return breaks the syphon at a given depth and protects the floor. Just make sure it doesn't get blocked.

The other thing with sumps is to make certain you have a safety switch to protect YOU!!

Thanks for all your great posts,

Old Dave

Bummer Dave, lol, but what is keeping fish if you don't have a flood every now and again

Here are a couple of ideas, just put a tee on your tank pipework that will stop the siphon effect. Pics below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uplift.jpg  
    Why me ?

Larvae
    Interesting mod for the external standpipe.
    If it gets too noisy you can add 2x 135 degree bends on the "drop".

My back syphoning problem was on the hose returning to the tank from the sump pump.

Great looking racking. Welded & hammertone paint. Totally solid.
    I still use the hammer & nails support systems.

Thanks,

Old Dave