Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sump

New Sump

Just a couple of pics of a new sump I have made from a 48" x 15" x 12" tank that was given to me. As you can see it is divided into 5 sections with weirs in between. I have changed the configuration a little to suit my filter media but the top drawing is pretty much how it came together in the end. Bio-balls now sit in the middle compartment and alfa grog either side. The larger gap in the last weir is to accommadate final filter floss to polish the water before it goes through the pump and into the tanks.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is thinking of doing the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sump_22.jpg   sump_11.jpg   tank_1_178.jpg  
    Why me ?

Wrigglers

nice

thanks H. I love my sump but the configuration drives me crazy.. really hard to clean and get to.. it also ends up with way too much yucky stuff down at the pump end..

One day when I get the time (hopefully some time this year ) I am going to rebuild and expand mine to be more user friendly.. this will be of great assistance..

just one question.. does this end up in a cabinet under the tank or does it sit out and exposed.. my issue is getting the thing in and out on the odd occassion.. (like when I flood the floor and need to get the cabinet base out to get to the 1inch of water sitting there )
    Hello my name is Sharon, and I am a Fish tragic..... 25 years of fish keeping and still so much to learn...
    THE DISCUS BUUUGGGG HAS BITTEN....My Babies are all grown up now..

Nice looking sump, love the double baffles, did you reseal the 4 footer? just looks like you've got a nice healthy bead of silicone in all the joins.

Hi ILLUSN,

The story behind the tank is that I got it from a guy that I work, who had kept it in his back garden for a few years, he told me it might leak, so I said I'd have it anyway, didn't cost me anything

I got it home and filled it to the brim and yes, it did leak on one corner about 3 inches down. As I poked the corner on the long side to see how much it would move, the side gave way, I got a good soaking. Long story short, I had to take the side off completely and re-do the whole thing. I cut out all the interior sealant but leaving the brace bars, and re-sealed the whole thing. I think it makes it look like new now, plus I know that it has been done right I always use plenty of sealer, I found a cheap source of sealer at £2.98 per tube, in the lfs it is £10 a tube.

The partitions are made of 6mm acrylic sheet. The weir configuration basically make the water rise up through the filter media for maximum coverage, then it has to rise over the top and down to do the same again, the last wider weir for the floss should stop me getting a build up of mulm in the pump end. (pink66 )

Once I ge my new system up and runnning, might be a few months yet, I'll post up some more pics of it in action. Glad you liked it

Steve
    Why me ?

Larvae
    Nice sump Hollowman, I just picked my sump up last week and getting all the tanks plumbed I will post a complete thread on how I did it and the problems I have faced andsolved them

Itis a massive learning curve and I will be posting my new pairs I have.

Nice Sump Steve

How many & what size tanks are you able to run from that one sump?
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Hi Robyn,

I plan on running a system of around 700ltrs but hope to add to that. I am sure the sump will allow me to add more to my original plan. I have 2 - 30" x 18" x 15" and 3 - 20" x 18" x 15" which will form the hub of the system, but I also have a few other tanks that I might incorporate as grow outs. The system will be made so that there is plenty of room for expansion.

Steve
    Why me ?

San Merah Discus
    That sump will run 1500-2000 litres no worries.
    Cheers
    MAC

Hi MAC, you can never have too much filtration imo. Gives me scope toy expand or grow out too.
    Why me ?

I am more or less copying your sump, Steve. How many litres per hour does your pump do?
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"