Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Larvae

Ok... Question, need to see difference!..

I have been through so many threads and posts and so many ppl have said nice fish, looks good, " but the eyes are to big"
    So now I ask, of you all out there show me the discus how they should look then, "your" fish not photos on the web.. to see how they were young and now adults to see the difference I would like to compare plzzzz..
    Huh! maybe all discus have big eyes when there young and its how you grow them you..that counts..kinda looking at it that way now.. Im probably wrong I know.. just a thought..lol
    hope to see some pics soon.. would love to see all these wonderful fish to compare them up to mine I guess..
    heres a Leopard discus I ordered myself yesterday, at home now.. how does this one look..lol..
    hes cute..hes always right up at the glass checking things out not shy at all..
    Sue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009_0107discusmisc0009.jpg12.jpg  

Larvae
    Nice looking fish, and in my opinion, the eyes are pretty proportionate. It can be hard to get a quality discus for a reasonable price, and you can only do your best trying to grow them out anyway. My problem exactly...mine aren't growing "that" much...

Larvae
    thanks.. Ive compared this one with the other 2 and the eyes are not as big.. body is larger..
    Im just having fun with this post, hope to see before and after pics of some on here..
    Im doing water changes every other day, really just like any fish, enough "room" to grow + water quality..best for any fish I say.. lol..
    Im enjoying them, quite social little guys..
    " they grow into thier eyes"... lmao.. thats my thoughts and Im sticking to it.. no j/k..
    its hard to get a good pic too.. and they do even look a little bigger on camera.. huh who knows..
    still wanna see some pics..

mate try the photo section or members albums

theres tons to look at and compare in those sub sections

Larvae
    yes thanks.. Ive been checking it out, lots of really nice fish..
    cant wait for the 80gal to be ready.

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fish2fish3fish
    " they grow into thier eyes"... lmao.. thats my thoughts and Im sticking to it.. no j/k..
    Yeah, good theory . I hope it works.

Larvae
    lol I thought so!!.. as you know Im just kidding around..
    sue

Hi,

Take a look at these photos. I would say that these fish are of similar age. One is a stunted fish from a lfs, the other from a supplyer who I know has a grade fish.
    Look at the eye size in relation to the body on both fish. In a properly growing fish, the eye should fit into a vertical line (through the centre of the eye) at least 7 times, in the stunted fish it is just 4.

As the fish grows, the eye grows at a steady rate, if kept or raised in 'poor' conditions, it will start to stunt, the eyes however will still grow, giving the disproportionate sign of stunting. IMO, once stunted, it is almost impossible to get it back on track.

Sue, these are not my fish, the stunted one was from another member here in another thread, I can post up one of mine too if you like, but the example I have posted is what you should be looking for, even in small fish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stunted_2.jpg   eye_size_206.jpg   stunted_2.jpg   eye_size_206.jpg  
    Why me ?

Medium Discus
    HI Sue,

Check out the Discus Critique section. This section will show you lots of great fish as well as lots of not so great fish. All have been commented on appropriately. My personal favourite in there, Steve's (Hollowman) Penang E - may he rest in peace.
    Aaron

Larvae
    that is amazing!! thanks so much I understand now very clear about the stunting of Discus, have never seen it like that before..
    So these fish are relitivly the same age, but one has lived in poor conditions and the other has grown conciderably to the size as to be expected in a Discus fish..
    I look at my Cobalts and I see exactly that.. only holds 4 eyes down the center stripe.. the Leopard that I have from the looks can be seen with 6 so not as bad..
    thanks H.. this helps me a great deal.. I will be looking for this when Im shopping around, for I wont be ordering the rest of my fish through the store I will be going through a breeder anyway, but now I will know this valuable info..
    Sue