Thread: Hole in fin

Medium Discus

Hole in fin

Errk, I have noticed a small hole, about 2mm, in my pigeon blood anal fin just before xmas. I know this could have happened from high ammonia, bacteria, overcrowding etc. My ammonia is always 0 and i definately have not overstocked my tank. Its BB at the moment too. Im thinking it may be bacteria as i noticed my latex rock background had pockets at the back of it where the silicone had not kept it tight. I removed the background just recently too. Im doing large water changes every other day (i take the water level down to just below the height of the discus and refill so probably about 75 - 80%). But i have done less water changes over the xmas period. Probably about 2 a week. But that should still be enough as they are large water changes.

Should i cut the fin back to cut this hole out and rub some Tetracycline into it? Should i leave it? It doesnt look like its getting bigger, at what rate would it be getting bigger?

Apart from that they all look happy, healthy, fat.
    Aaron

Just leave it unless it gets worse, if it was bacterial it would be getting worse by the day, its probably just physical damage, it will heal on its own given time.

Just clean water will heal it if it is a rip/hole.
    Why me ?

Medium Discus
    ok cool. thanks guys.
    Aaron