Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Meeting Andrew Soh

Hi everyone,

For the people that know about the discus world, you will know the name of Andrew Soh, he is a most respected author, discus breeder and a frequent member giving advice to anyone who needs help.
    Yesterday, I had the pleasure of spending the afternoon and evening with him. He jetted into the UK to be our guest speaker and judge at our inaugural British Discus Show He is a lovely man, and just what I thought he would be like in person. He is happy and forward, and has a genuine love for the hobby. It was clear while chatting to Andrew that he has a real passion for fish and most of all for helping others and the business in general to cure resistant disease and ailments.

I now get the chance to spend the next few days with Andrew, which I am looking forward to, as we build our show, ready for the weekends excitement. I have also a show judge, so who better to have as a mentor, than the man himself.

I know you guys are mostly on the other side of the world than me, but we should be having a 'live site' running at the show with webcams and all sorts of other information updated as it happens, so if you are interested in dropping by, take a look at this link, which will direct you to the official British Discus Show website, and then there should be a link to the 'live show' from Saturday morning.

http://www.british-discus-show.com

Hollowman
    Why me ?

Tiny Fry
    thats great Hollowman - I'm impressed by him taking the time to help people on this web site. Pleased you got to met him

Andrew kindly tried to help me here, a while back, with a sick heckel. Very nice man.
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Update,

I spent today with some of our team building the show. I have just got home from the venue and feel exhausted. We have the racks in place as well as the 50 show tanks, most are now filled with remineralised RO water each with it's own heater and filter.
    It has been a fun time, and we even had Andrew mucking in and helping us move materials around, setting up tanks and filling them with water.
    I think the highlight of my day was being asked if I wanted to have a look at the draft copy of Andrew's new book, well, I jumped at the chance and spent the best part of an hour flicking through the pages, with Andrew explaining each page as I looked How cool is that!!
    I will not tell you what it is all about, as that isn't fair, but I will tell you that it will make an invaluable addition to your discus book library. He has gone into various subjects in more specific detail in a way that both the experienced and beginner will understand. It's a must, so watch out for it's release.
    I go back to the venue tomorrow morning to continue the setup, so will not be able to post until after the weekend. I will try to get you some pics so you can have some idea of what goes on.
    There is now a website dedicated to the show and will be updated from Friday. Web cams will go live late Friday/Early Saturday.

The site can be found here http://show.bidka.org

Hollowman
    Why me ?

Ohhhhhhh you lucky, lucky man.

We want a full update of everything that happened at the show Steve and more details of your time spent with Andrew.

I'm positively GREEN with envy LOL
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Merrilyn,

You won't believe the time I have had with Andrew. He is a true star. He has a wicked sence of humor and knows so much more than what you might think. He is always smiling and loves to be part of everything that goes on.

He also loves his food When he reads that, he'll have a good laugh. I won't mention the Corned Beef Hash.....

Here are a few pics, I have more but not resized yet.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lofty_small.jpg   andrew_talk_small.jpg   andrew_judging_small.jpg  
    Why me ?

A few more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails show_outside_small.jpg   trophies_small.jpg   tanks_small.jpg  
    Why me ?

Best pic of all, Andrew and me after we received our judging certificates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dinner7_small.jpg  
    Why me ?

Blue Diamond Discus
    Nice to see what you both look like and some nice fish also. Do we have shows here in Aus like that.

Quote Originally Posted by lpiasente
    Do we have shows here in Aus like that.
    Wouldn't that be great.. There you go Merrilyn, a new project
    Why me ?