Just an Egg

Tank "project"... advice needed!!!

Hey guys, been reading through the forum and there is LOTS of great info... GREAT HELP... THANKS!
    I need advice from the plant guru's tho....

I have the juwel vision 450l tank, and am thinking of how to set it up. I am going to go bare bottom on this one as my water quality and discus health are my first prioroty. I know this REALLY limmits my plant choice, but I am going to have drift wood and roots that I will tie the plants onto.
    Currently I have a presurized Co2 system, and 4 x t5 54w lamps (2 dennerle amazon day, and 2 dennerle plant pro).

My questions are these....

1- Is my lighting sufficient for my 450l or should I up it to 6 x t5's??? If so which ones would you suggest??

2- What plants can I use?? I will also use small clay pots to plant some amazon swords in....

3- I usually carry out a 50% water change weekly thus my nitrates are low to non vissible, this as I know affects plant growth. Will dosing with nitrates affect my discus??

4- What ppm should mt Co2 be at?? I usually aim my Kh to be between 4-5 and drop my p.h to 6.7. Is it ok??

5 - Lastly, any advice on what ferts I should use will be greatly appreciated. What are the most important macro/micro nutrients to measure, and at what levels should they all be at???

All advice is GREATLY appreciated. Would hate to start up my tank, and have algae problems (happened on my previous tank)
    13cm Pigeon Pearl
    6cm Pigeon blood snake
    5cm Brilliant turquois
    4cm Blue diamond
    18 Cardinals

Just an Egg
    No one???
    13cm Pigeon Pearl
    6cm Pigeon blood snake
    5cm Brilliant turquois
    4cm Blue diamond
    18 Cardinals

Medium Discus

Re: Tank "project"... advice needed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrkBoy
    Hey guys,

I have 450l tank,
    Currently I have a presurized Co2 system, and 4 x t5 54w lamps (2 dennerle amazon day, and 2 dennerle plant pro).
    My questions are these....

1- Is my lighting sufficient for my 450l or should I up it to 6 x t5's??? If so which ones would you suggest??
    450 litres call it 100 gallons, 200 watts so 2 wpg is fine - you could have more or less depending on what else you do

2- What plants can I use?? I will also use small clay pots to plant some amazon swords in....
    Almost anything with aerial roots ie the ferns , mosses , and then yes any suitable plant in pots with decent substrate

3- I usually carry out a 50% water change weekly thus my nitrates are low to non vissible, this as I know affects plant growth. Will dosing with nitrates affect my discus??
    contentious, my answer is no though if you look in TW thread on her 7ft tank i dont keep discus and think you may see other answers

4- What ppm should mt Co2 be at?? I usually aim my Kh to be between 4-5 and drop my p.h to 6.7. Is it ok??
    plant growers would aim at 30ppm

5 - Lastly, any advice on what ferts I should use will be greatly appreciated. What are the most important macro/micro nutrients to measure, and at what levels should they all be at???
    the most important things to measure are water quality for the fish, the rest of the test kits are a waste of time and you should gauge things on plant health and growth, with the proviso that you are testing carbon with your drop checker

All advice is GREATLY appreciated. Would hate to start up my tank, and have algae problems (happened on my previous tank)
    always a possibilty with high light and limited numbers of plants