Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sand & Plants - how does it work

Thinking of setting up a tank with just a thin layer of pool filter sand. Other than annubia & java ferns tied onto driftwood, how & what can you grow in a tank with only thin layer of sand.

Also, can java fern survive in discus temps. I have lots of broad leaf java fern & don't mind risking it by trial and error.

I don't want to risk the narrow leaf though, as I only have a few small pieces I bought from a hobbyist. Will it melt.

Any advice on how to plant this tank would be great. It's main focus will be to house my new group of wild discus in a natural sand bottom tank.

Also, I'm having a mental block on how many litres are required for an adult discus. I have tried a search, but the answer I want isn't coming up. I plan to do 2 x 50% water changes weekly.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Just an Egg
    Hi TW,

Its 1 Adult to 10 gallons or 38 liters.

As for plants you could try some swords I have mine growing in sand ok.

Cheers,
    Dave

Medium Discus
    sand is just rather useless at having any nutrients , so if only wanting sand on the bottom then plants need feeding from something else

options include the water column
    fertiliser tablets
    aquatic soils in pots

andrew

Thanks for replies.

What is a good balance between the sand not being too deep (so as not to cause the anerobic issues associated with sand) and yet deep enough to have plants, using ferts in water column & tablets near roots?

It's silica pool filter sand that I will be using.

TW your proably better off using a pot and hiding it behind the drift wood or other features in the tank, that way your plants will get what they need.

cutting plants (stem/bunch plants) will do fine in sand as they absorb all their nutrients through their leaves so these species wil do fine in sand (they'll just use their roots as support)

Thanks ILLUSN

I will use some pots then, but only hidden at the back where unseen. In a 4ft, restricted in growth by the pot, what sword & how many would look good.

What about crypts & dwarf chain sword, with root tabs in the sand - will they work planted directly in the sand?

I am also a little confused about the whole sand becoming anaerobic when the depth is over 1" thing. I read so many bits & pieces of advice on threads here, but still am not clear if this applies to silica pool filter sand. I think some people were saying it's not the case with this sand, because it's a larger grained than normal sand. I don't know if that info is right or not. If it's right, can I safely go a deeper toward the rear ?

Another question - will discus heat melt narrow leaf java fern. I only have a few small pieces bought from another hobbyist, which I don't want to kill by trial & error?

Thanks in advance.

Medium Discus
    an alternative to the pots is stockings with a fertile substrate in... this can be shaped and hidden , also can stick plants in where you like

i thought that sands that didnt compact , ie even particle size and rounded shape were less likely to become anaerobic

not sure though

Medium Discus
    why cant i edit?

filter sand is made to stay moving ie not compact otherwise it wouldnt filter it would clump even in current of pumped water column

cory would easily turn over 3 cms of sot sand , they love burying themselves gill deep in it, sterbai would probably be happier in the hotter discus waters

Just an Egg

Sand & Plants

Hi TW
    While I'm no plant expert...
    I have had no problem growing crypts and swords in pool filter sand. Just place tab fertilizer in the sand by the roots and they are happy. The depth of the sand can be deep enough for the swords. My sand depth varies from about 1/2 inch to 3 inches.All you do is when you vacum/clean the substrate just use something like a chopstick or bbq stick to turn the sand so pockets don't develop. I've even used my python to dig down in the non planted areas to turn the sand. The plants roots will aerate the areas they are in.I've had no issues at all with nasties from the sand. You could also of course use mts (snails) or loaches to do the job. HTH Sue
    120gal koi angel , baby angels, rams and orangehead geos
    29 gal angel , bn, red tailed shark and black skirts

thanks fishgeek & Susie Q, you've helped a lot.