Hi, I'm New Here!

Plant fertilisers?

I'm after some opinions as to which liquid ferts people prefer and why.

I'm currently using ADA products, and they're quite expensive. These are the first and only products I've used so I'd like to know people's experiences with other brands. As far as I can tell the main brands are Seachem, Sera, Dupla and Aquamedic plus a few others.

My tank is a 5x2x2 with a gravel substrate and has a combination of T8 and T5 lighting. I dont run CO2 and have plenty of phosphorus and nitrogen (i.e wont need to be added).

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Just an Egg

Seachem

Hi,

I really am impressed with the Seachem line of Flourish products. I think that you will be very pleased with the results. Three of their products that I have found to be very beneficial are Flourish, Flourish Excel and Flourish Iron. Also Flourish tabs for the substrate. Have a look at Seachems' web site and there is plenty of good information there. I have also used used Seras' products but have received better results using Seachem.

Medium Discus
    depending on what you are wanting in your fertiliser

i tend to buy dry chempak trace elements and dose as i feel necessary
    this contains most of the micronutrients needed

as i feel light, carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium are more important for growth i use dry potassium nitrate and don't add phosphate as my tap water is relatively high in it
    potassium phosphate can also be used to supplement this

if you want a source of carbon without utilising CO2 as a gas then seachems excel uses an alkylated? form of glutarlhyde , this is also available cheaper as easycarbo by a german company

so look at light levels
    then make sure you provide carbon
    once these are high you may then see an increased utilisation of N,P,K and a need to supplement them

many of the aquatic fertiliser companies spin myth and make silly claims on there products to keep a captive market, plants all follow the same principles... aquaria though having fish have an added nitrogen concern meaning that ammonia and urea of terrestrial fertiliser cant be used without potential issue's to fish

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for your replies.

I have heard of a lot of people using Flourish and was considering using it as well. Still have a months supply of ADA so will continue to research alternatives