Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Tank upgrade

Blue Diamond Discus
    I know you said we have to wait Aaron but I wanna see more "larger" pictures and soon....
    Looks awesome so far.

Medium Discus
    haha. thanks mate.

Im currently on the net looking for a nice photo compression software for my mac that will help me post nice large photos.

My whole thread i have had bad crappy photos because ive only had my camera phone. Now im using an actual camera i need to get this software to redeem my journal. hhaha
    Aaron

Blue Diamond Discus
    Nice.
    Most camera's will store photos as BMP aka Bitmaps. There should be basic software to simply edit and re-save files as JPG. Either that or upload them to photobucket which will automatically compress and resize them for you.

Medium Discus
    ok cheers matt.
    Aaron

Wrigglers
    do you have a FTS??

Medium Discus
    FTS?

Forbidden Trouser Snake?
    Aaron

Wrigglers
    full tank shot

Medium Discus
    ahhh yes. Full Tank shot.

I will be posting a full shot once the scape is completed. Its taking longer then first thought as im still trying to look for work and any cash is being kept for bills etc. The right side is done so when ive finished the left side i will post.

Cheers
    Aaron

Medium Discus
    Ok. So!

It is decided that i will be moving into my girlfriends house next year and bills are included in a low rent agreement due to her mum owning the house!

My last 2 electricity bills have been excessively higher as i have been running 3 MH's. This ontop of running 3 tanks is a bit much to move into a house under this 'low rent, no bill' agreement.

So to not take advantage of the situation and reduce my own current bills, i will be rescaping to make it more of an amazon biotype. Focusing more on driftwood and rocks. That said i will be buying loads more anubias so it wont be a true biotype.

I have also just bought 5 juvies which im quarantining and fattening up - so that helped the decision to change as the tank will stay cleaner. No matter how much i cleaned the tank, 4 plecos and lots of riccia still managed to make my job harder as crap would stay in between the driftwood, eco-complete and plants. Death to floating Riccia!

Im looking forward to easy sand cleaning and full control for Discus.

I will be posting up some pictures of the tank half completed so you can see where i got up too and my plan. Its sad to not be finishing the scape before changing the layout but i guess life will all round be easier with the new scape.

My 5 new juvies include 1 x Leapord, 1 x golden spot leapord, 1 x red turq (new patterned type with green undersheen) and 2 x blue diamonds. I will get some photos of them as well.

My thoughts - if i ever go down the planted tank again. I will be making sure i do it ALL straight from the start. No 'as you go'.
    And i also understand a whole lot more now why people say dont go planted tank with Discus. Maybe it was because my tank was so large, but i was cleaning this thing non stop. That wouldnt have been a problem if the bills stayed low and i wasnt going to be moving.

For now - im really excited about planning an effective looking, easy maintenance tank that combines rhizome plants for shelter with driftwood, rocks and sand.

off to find more driftwood....
    Aaron

Sounds a great deal on the rental situation. Hope everything goes well.

So, its a new job, new home & new setup ! Looking forward to seeing the tank, when you're ready.

I couldn't handle riccia in my larger tank either. It was ok in my 43G, but I quickly got sick of giving riccia hair cuts in the 138G. I got rid of all my riccia.
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"