Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Tank upgrade

I'll tell you what I like ...and what I don't like about this tank seeing as I run big drilled tanks with Pro 3's

What I like ...pretty much everything except ..... I don't like the return coming up through the bottom. I run my through drilled holes at about 6" down from the surface and I run eheim diffusers on them.

Apart from that you have almost exactly the same set up as I use on my big tanks apart from me running 1 x 2180 and 1 x 2080 because I don't like heaters in the tank and I run a seperate 2217 for chemicals and UV.
    "If it isn't a wild its way too mild ! "

Medium Discus
    Thanks for the feedback Taksan.

I too prefer not to see heaters in a tank. I may purchase an external heater to connect to the filters or hide the heaters behind plants once i have planted.

Its good to get feedback on plumbing layout as its my first setup. Do you think for flow, the return is better up high? Because the loc-line nozzle doesnt compress the water, flow is light. Water seems to easily get pushed around the tank though. And surface agitation is very very minimal. This could be a problem in the future (this could also work well with Co2 injection).
    Aaron

Medium Discus
    I made this rack on the weekend. Its based on Kinezo's post and was pretty fun building. Its to hold 2 x 3ft tanks and 1 x 2ft tank. The 2fter will go on top. I will be moving the tanks into the cupboard in the background so will only have the one big tank in the house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc00203_363.jpg  
    Aaron

Gonna paint it blue buddy ?

Steve
    Why me ?

Medium Discus
    hahahaha, not on purpose!

I painted it white last night.
    Aaron

Blue Diamond Discus
    Yeh... white with a tinge of blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt15
    Yeh... white with a tinge of blue?
    Why me ?

Medium Discus
    The blue tinge 'highlights' will come in a week when i notice fungy growing on the stand.

Death to Methylene Blue!
    Aaron

Medium Discus
    So i thought it's about time to post a little update. I wont post full pictures just yet as i will only do this when the tank is finished. (I've currently only finished the left hand side.

Im working on the riccia. I also have to finished the right hand side of the tank. I've got basic hard scape but haven't planted in and scaped that side yet.

The photo below is of the left hand side looking through the tank about 3 weeks ago. That male in front of the pigeon is 15cm's, just to give you a size idea. My trio are lovin the new tank but im in desperate need of more discus. I will be getting these as a present to myself when i get a new job.

I have removed one of the Jager heaters and replaced it with a ETH inline heater. So far its going great.

Current inhabitants include:

2 x Marlboros
    1 x Pigeon
    26 x cardinals
    20 x rummies
    4 x sterbai corys. (big fat buggers)
    4 x ottos
    2 x peppermints
    2 x orange spots
    1 x red cherry shrimp (an escape from Illusn's plec breeding tank which has managed to survive 3 weeks now)

Future inhabitants:

Maybe 10 more cardinals
    Maybe 5 more rummys
    More discus.

Im yet to determine whether i will sell my current three and go all wilds or:
    * get several more red variations,
    * get all blue variations
    * get different colours and have a skittles outlook.

All up i want about 8 discus in the tank. That should stock the 780L (not including canister volume) nicely.

Opinions welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0886.jpg  
    Aaron

Medium Discus
    ps. Notice the black line on the pigeon fin. This is where i trimmed the fin back to fix a massive tear. The fin grew back in about 3 weeks. The colour is slowly returning.
    Aaron