Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Medium Discus
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    658
    1 X 400mg tab/40l for 10 days at 30-31deg works a charm!!! lights off and towel over tank- (to keep them from freaking out).

    This was advice from someone i completely trust with vast medical experience, and a long time fish keeper/breeder... and he didnt let me down 100% success rate for the customers fish, and the other EIGHT they infected!!! these fish are now the biggest pigs of the lot at feeding time, and already looking fat!

  2. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Penrith NSW
    Posts
    5,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Decapper
    Wow.. I have dosed my 70L tank with the above spec.. 250 x 7 = 1750 / 200(my tablets) = 8.75 tablets

    I only dosed at 6.5 tablets and on my second dose after a 30% water change and 12hrs on my discus started darting round and jumping as in overdose! Have done a complete 100% water change and turned on lights and UV light and now waiting to see if I have any loses
    ok so lets review you have a 70L tank volume so you need 70x25mg= 1875mg.
    at 200mg/ tablet you need ~9 tablets. you used 6
    you crushed the tablets disolved in water to make a paste (the metro disolves the binder does not).

    48 hrs later you did a 30% water change redosed metro, 12 hours after your redose you had problems (60 hours after your initial treatment) you had problems?

    also do you have a 7oL tank or 70L of water in the tank? the correct dose is 25mg/L of water so measure the inside of your tank both length and width and multiply by the height of your water column

  3. #13
    Larvae
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Prospect
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Aquatic
    1 X 400mg tab/40l for 10 days at 30-31deg works a charm!!! lights off and towel over tank- (to keep them from freaking out).

    This was advice from someone i completely trust with vast medical experience, and a long time fish keeper/breeder... and he didnt let me down 100% success rate for the customers fish, and the other EIGHT they infected!!! these fish are now the biggest pigs of the lot at feeding time, and already looking fat!
    Thanks for the advice.. Seems everyone has a view about dosage on metro..

    You say 200mg = 20L at 10days
    Discusforum 200mg = 8L at 2days
    Andrew Soh 200mg = 13.3L at 4days

    Well I've tried Discusforum and the results where close to death. Now trying Andrews Soh and hope that is fine. Otherwise I'll go with Yours thanks
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

  4. #14
    Larvae
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Prospect
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    Quote Originally Posted by Decapper
    Wow.. I have dosed my 70L tank with the above spec.. 250 x 7 = 1750 / 200(my tablets) = 8.75 tablets

    I only dosed at 6.5 tablets and on my second dose after a 30% water change and 12hrs on my discus started darting round and jumping as in overdose! Have done a complete 100% water change and turned on lights and UV light and now waiting to see if I have any loses
    ok so lets review you have a 70L tank volume so you need 70x25mg= 1875mg.
    at 200mg/ tablet you need ~9 tablets. you used 6
    you crushed the tablets dissolved in water to make a paste (the metro dissolves the binder does not).

    48 hrs later you did a 30% water change re-dosed metro, 12 hours after your re-dose you had problems (60 hours after your initial treatment) you had problems?

    also do you have a 7oL tank or 70L of water in the tank? the correct dose is 25mg/L of water so measure the inside of your tank both length and width and multiply by the height of your water column

    I have 70L of water in the tank. I worked it out to the water level
    Sorry for the 70L I dosed 8.5 tablets first and second dose 48hrs apart.

    Yep that is correct 60hrs and I had darting resulting in large hits to glass. Also backing up. Upside down.. laying on the bottom. Heavy gasping. Overdose signs

    Then I don't large water changes which seemed to work at first but I think further stressed the fish. So I transfered to another tank with well aged water housing L numbers. Fish did not recover straight away but looked better even if still laying on bottom of tank gasping. Following morning swimming fine.


    P.s
    I use a pill crusher which also mixing the metro into the water very effectively. Maybe that is my problem its too effective resulting in a higher dosage absorbed
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

  5. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Penrith NSW
    Posts
    5,873
    Did you do a 30% water change between doses ie dose wait 48 hours do a water change then redose.

    Interesting the darting I had a fish kill itself doing this a few days ago all I did was feed it. After it smashed into the glass it did just as you describe.

  6. #16
    Larvae
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Prospect
    Posts
    164
    Yep 30% water change as instructed..

    I was very lucky I did not lose any.. (besides 2 L066)

    After re-dosing everything seems ok... Thats at Andrew's dosage. Still not 12hrs yet.. Took a chance at putting them through the meds again. I hope their livers are not stuffed. I'm also running a L066 fry in there as a cannery
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

  7. #17
    Blue Diamond Discus
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wonthaggi Victoria
    Posts
    1,086
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    Did you do a 30% water change between doses ie dose wait 48 hours do a water change then redose.

    Interesting the darting I had a fish kill itself doing this a few days ago all I did was feed it. After it smashed into the glass it did just as you describe.
    My exact thoughts. I have dosed at a way higher dose (under guidance) and never had any fish dart around. I would also think startled. I too had one smash into the glass after my cat jumped on top of the tank. It didn't die for a few days just sat near the top of the tank gasping. Has anyone ever had this with metro????

  8. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Penrith NSW
    Posts
    5,873
    Not with metro but I have had fish smash into the glass ten gasp for a day or so before dying no idea what causes it I think I had a read somewhere about "crazy swim disease" associated with temps above 28c but I've only ever had 4 fish do it over the last 16 years or so

  9. #19
    Larvae
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Prospect
    Posts
    164
    This morning they seem to be handling the metro a bit better. Seem to be a little bit skittish, I'll monitor through the day. Interesting that it's only happening to me. I read "Discus Health by Dieter Untergasser"

    Although metronisazole has been used successfully for treating aquarium fishes for decades, the possibility of negative side effects should not be overlooked. There have been rare cases where -- due to unknown reactions -- all the fish died during treatment with this substance.
    He recommended dosage at 500mg per 100L

    You say 200mg = 20L at 10days
    Discusforum 200mg = 8L at 2days
    Andrew Soh 200mg = 13.3L at 4days
    Dieter Untergasser 200mg = 40L
    L066
    Assorted small fish
    6x2x2 Aqua One

  10. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Penrith NSW
    Posts
    5,873
    thats the old dose from when i was a kid, dad and i used to use 1 200mg tablet per 40L it seemed too loose effectiveness around 1988-1989 and we uped the dose to 200mg/20L this seemed to work better, around 2006 we had some discus come from malaysia that didn't respond looking around here we tried the 25mg/L dose and it worked very well.

    as i said to you before i prefer to dose 10-12.5mg every 12 hours with a water change daily for 10 days, my fish room faces south and it gets a bit of natural light, conmbine that with the short half life of metro and it works better for me but i'm a former microbiologist.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •