Thread: Tropheus

Hi, I'm New Here!

Tropheus

Hi all hopefully someone can help me out here i have 4 tropheus dubosi in my 5ft tank wondering if its a good idea to add some different types of tropheus as i love them or is this a bad idea will there be to much aggression or will they get on fine

Cheers Greg

Just an Egg
    Hi cugerg.
    There are a few issues here...
    Five tropheus will bully the weakest and within a short space of time you will start to lose them one by one, being left with the dominant male eventually. You can avoid this by adding more tropheus from other species, bearing in mind that they will interbreed. If this is not an issue to you all well, alternatively add more of the same. If you really want different races, I found keeping fish that are very different in appearance minimised the chances of crossing, but did not eliminate altogether. I had my best results when I purchased 44 juvenile duboisi. I sized them up in a 1.5metre tank until I was able to vent and sex them. At this point the aggression was something scary! I had 21 females in the group. I kept them and my three best males, setting up a territory for each one. They bred readily and the tank was really peaceful.
    Regards
    Rowland

"A fear of failure is a fear of trying"

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks Rowland

I think i will just add more duboisis and see how i go thanks again