Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    yeah mate, near as i can tell these stools were from a blue diamond that went down hill after an asian red turk was introduced to the tank (after a 4 week quarentine).

will try and get more photos of the 2 fish in question, i saw the red turk passing white stools last night, buts its a good size and healthy, eats like a pig, but isn't the biggest fish in the tank (the way it eats you assume it would be I guess that should have tipped me off).

It got 2 doses of levimenisole while in quarentine 3 weeks apart, i guess i didn't break the cycle, wont make that mistake again.

Free Swimmer
    Hmmm... my new microscope arrived today so I took a sample of white stool from a Juvi I recently purchased.

Took me a while to find anything but I found this. My scope and camera aren't up to the quality of ILLUSN's above put it looks the same to me.

It's not a heavy infection from what I can tell, only really found one - but where there's one there must be more... Big-L teatment coming up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_202.jpg  

G'day all, bad news, my rose red fry are VERY sick took a look at some stools under the work scope and i think i found every internal paracite known to mankind

first off the worms the live worms are about 1mm long
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wormhead.jpg   wormass.jpg   eggs_134.jpg  

heaps of internal bugs, if anyone can id them I'd me very appreciative
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails protlow.jpg   prothigh.jpg  

smaller rounder bugs that appear to be fully cilliated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails protolive.jpg   protolive2.jpg  

more protozoa of various sizes these bigger guys appear to be round the 100um mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails protlowb.jpg   protclose.jpg   prothighb.jpg  

last ones for now nice big ugly bug!

i did notice some spironucleus present but in VERY low numbers maybe 4 in the entire stool sample not 100's like the rest of these things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prothigh1.jpg   prothigh2.jpg  

the end result of this is 14 fish dead, and as luck would have it all the bigger (3 inch) rose red fry are gone as are all the red turk fry.

I've treated with OCTOZIN (8.5% dimetridazole) at 3x the bottle dose, have also started weekly treatments of levimenisole at 2mg/L no more deaths after a week and stoll samples show only eggs and DEAD protozoa (in the 1000's). hopefully the remaing 11 fish will make a full recovery, all are eating again, freeze dried blackworms and live brine shrimp, they still have no taste for beefheart or any dry foods (specrun grow color bits breeders blend flake).

again if anyone can help me id these bugs it would be greatly appreciated

this is driving me up the wall fish were looking great now some have gone down hill again, a quick look at worst fish poo shows 1000's of these bugs.

so far fish have had treatments with prazi (bottle dosage three treatments 5 days apart) 3 doses of levimenisole (1 week apart) a 2x dose of octozin (2x the bottle dosage adminstered as per instructions days 1 2 and 3) and metro in the food,

if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Free Swimmer
    ILLUSN,

Check out this webpage, it's got some scope pics of various parasites, some of them look similar to yours.. but it's hard to be sure
    http://thegab.org/Links/UFla/Parasites.html

Your picture protlowb.jpg looks similar to Protoopalina symphysodonis on that page, the size seems right and it's a gastro tract parasite.. so could be right

Here's another site with microcope pics of aquarium parasites to look at.
    http://www.geocities.com/steevward/pathogens.html

The worms & eggs look like they could still be Capillaria, your microscope is picking up much more detail than mine and the pics in the sites I've linked.. but they sort of look similar to me

Sorry I can't help more... too much of a microscope newbie myself... at least that's my excuse

As for what to do.. to be honest I don't know

I guess you could try making the environment hostile to the bugs like maybe dropping the pH down quite low
    Something I've been thinking about trying is feeding rocksalt. I saw this done in a discus book and was surprised Discus would even eat it. I imagine it would get concentrated salt into the intestinal tract and most f/w bugs don't like high salt concentrations