Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Free Swimmer

Are these worms?

I have fed my discus with prazi medicated food as a worming treatment and I'm noticing some passing of what could be worms. They don't really fit the description of tapeworms from what I can tell, and I thought that's really what prazi was active against. Could it be bloodworm casings being expelled?

Any ideas - sorry I know the pictures aren't great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc_3711.jpg   dsc_3714.jpg   dsc_3715.jpg  

Tiny Fry
    could be food fibres, do you feed them beefheart mixed with vegetables? spinach comes out stringy like that sometimes.
    Over to the experts...

and your Photos are pretty good actually...

Free Swimmer
    Thanks, and yes diet includes a beefheart mix as the primary staple. Prawns, Beefheart and Spinach are the main component in my mix. (along with additives like crushed dry foods, vitamins, spirulana and astaxanthin)

They also get colour bits and frozen blood worms as staples and then a mix of other occasional foods like brine shrimp, other dry food etc.

DIY it looks like the skin of the blood worms to me mate , if they have worms offten it is white and stringy ,

Free Swimmer
    Thanks scott, I thought thats what it might be. Always nice to get a second opinion. The rest of the poop that followed that picture was dark and solid, I haven't noticed any white poops at all.

Sigh.. spending saturday afternoon analyzing fish poop

lol just always good to be safe then sorry ,

Just an Egg
    Oh yeah, I always find my Discus poop looks like this when they eat frozen blood worms. I believe that its about them not being able to digest the shell or outer skin of the bloodworm.

Kind Regards

Kell

Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww *sorry* couldn't help it

Yeah, the exoskeleton of bloodworms is very difficult to digest, that's why we don't recommend feeding them to juveniles. Just too darn difficult to pass.

Tapeworms aren't usually passed whole, more a semi dissolved glue like substance.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Free Swimmer
    LOL Merrilyn

Funny all the times I've fed FBW I never saw poop like that.

Propably due to the time of day I usually give them FBW, as the last meal before lights out as a bit of a treat. They may be passing during late afternoon like today when I'm either at work or doing errands on weekends. Of course today I was home watching closely for any tapeworms being expelled after treating with prazi

The meds probably made him expell the bloodworms from the gut more quickly than they would normally be. That's why you're seeing them whole.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend