Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wrigglers

wilds - survival rates

just a bit of a question/poll - medium to long term, what sort of survival rates have members on here had keeping wilds?

I have wilds, but I haven't had them long enough really to indicate typical survival rates.
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Dont know what typical is, but i've managed to kill 2 heckels in 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    Dont know what typical is, but i've managed to kill 2 heckels in 3 months
    Oh, no. Sorry to hear that. What was the issue. I'm currently having issues with my Heckels too, but so far, no deaths. I still have my fingers crossed, as it could happen.

i've killed two , but both were very avoidable, imo if you don't mix them with other fish, they should all survive.

i second samirs advice, my own stupidity killed my 2 fish, keep them on their own, DONT let any new fish near them.

i HAVE A FEW FRIENDS THAT HAVE KEPT THEM FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND THEY ARE STILL IN FINE HEALTH.
    LIKE THE GUYS HAVE SAID ABOVE, KEEPING THEM ON THEIR OWN i THINK MIGHT BE THE KEY, AS WELL AS BEING VERY SYMPATHETIC AS FAR AS KEEPING THEM IN 'THEIR' PRIME WATER CONDITIONS, LOTS OF WORK!!
    THAT SAID, i DO KNOW OF A CHAP THAT HAS MIXED THEM WITH HIS OTHER STOCK WITH NO PROBLEMS

Sorry not shouting, had my caps on!!

Hollowman
    Why me ?

Quote Originally Posted by samir
    i've killed two , but both were very avoidable, imo if you don't mix them with other fish, they should all survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLUSN
    i second samirs advice, my own stupidity killed my 2 fish, keep them on their own, DONT let any new fish near them.
    Do you mean forever, or until they've gone through a lengthy QT. I don't have anywhere separate to keep them long term. I planned to leave them in QT until they are as big as the ones in the community & then add them.

Am I destined for problems, you think? The wild royal blue is already in the community tank.

My problems were when i got a bad batch of turks into the fish room, something put the heckels off their food (they were in a seperate tank on the opposite side of the room bout 8m away), didn't eat for a week, went dark, white poo, used metro, no white poo, still not eating, then got dark again and died over night, i was using a common siphon for my water changes, that problem is now fixed hopefully i'll be able to keep the last one alive.

Wrigglers

life spans

I've actually found them harder to kill than local strains. I've also noted that they seem to be very intolerant of nitrate. They go downhill if the nitrate gets high whereas the hybrids dont care too much
    Wild discus only please. Or bring back the old strains from the 80's.