Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Tiny Fry

Help!

A week ago one of my discus turned black. when he didn't recover after a few days I removed him to a hospital tank and have been treating him with Metro (250 mg per 10 litres, 30% WC after 48 hrs - repeat dose x 3)

He seems to be getting worse!

I gave the last dose of Metro at 6 pm yesterday and found him lying on his side this morning.

the poor guy has lost some sore patches which I thought might be from the illness, but I now suspect to be damage from evil snails which I have found in the quaranteen tank!! Don't ask me how they got there - they must have hitched a ride some time ago and lay dormant in a crevice evading capture....

So I have removed the snails, changed 75% of the water and added a little aquarium salt (1/2 tsp per 40 litres) to help him heal.

Since the water change he is swimming about more but generally bumping into things... I don't really want to euthenaise him unless I have to.

Apart from letting nature run its course is there anything else I can do??

A, very bad, picture is attached....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sick_fish.jpg  

Is he still eating?

If so, offer him some live food and keep doing those water changes. Increase your temp by a couple of degrees, and give him some time in the hospital tank without stress from other tankmates.

Dim the light, and maybe give him a flowerpot to hide behind, or even a large plastic plant.

Good food, warmth and clean water often work wonders with fish.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Tiny Fry
    Thanks for the advice Merrilyn he's not eating at the moment - I was a little hopeful earlier as he was moving about quite a bit, but now he's lying on his side, which can't be good.

I've turned up to heat a little and will do another waterchange tonight.

fingers crossed....

Blue Diamond Discus
    Robert... sad to see your little guy heading for the worst mate. Fingers crossed he pulls a miracle and survives.

I recently lost my two anaconda's in a simular fashion mate. Once I had treated them with metro (because they weren't looking 100%) they just went downhill. It's almost as if the Metro speeds up the bacterial infection.

Best of luck mate

Robert, that's so sad. I wish I had some advice, but all I have to offer is sympathy
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

Wrigglers
    strange that you mention that Matt - i also lost all 3 of my anacondas over a short period of time after buying them. I wonder if its a weak strain? They all got cloudy eye and progressively waekened - no amount of medicating did any good. if so, it was certainly an expensive way to find out. Anybody else have probs with this particular strain?

Lots of good water for now, see how it goes.

Cloudy eyes generally start from bad water conditions.

H
    Why me ?

Tiny Fry
    Thanks for the kind words everyone,

I changed 75 % of the water again last night, but it was too late, he died in the night and I buried him this mornig

RIP Leopard

Wrigglers
    the water paramaters were and are perfect.All the other fish are fine it was just the anacondas.Just wondering if it is the strain or not. Maybe it was just bad luck or a bad lot - dunno.

Robert, sorry to hear the end result. Sometimes, that is the best for the fish & if your picture is anything to go by, it did look to be best in his case. I'm sorry, though there couldn't have been a miracle recovery
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"