Thread: sick oscar

Hi, I'm New Here!

sick oscar

hey i no that this is for discus but one of my oscars is sick hes gasping and i dnt no y theres a huge airater that goes along the whole back of the tank and hes not really swimming hes just sitting the and top fin clumped into his back it looks strange plz help my oscar

Blue Diamond Discus
    Mate as per all these help threads you'll need to post your water parametres and some more specific information about the tank. Photos are also a great help.
    Fingers crossed for him....

Hi, I'm New Here!
    no problem man ph 7.0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0.1
    thats the results i got. the oscars with 3 other oscars vairy in sizes a sleepy cod and a eel tail but hes the only one thats sick i woke up thismornin and still wasent eatting but yesterday when i had feeder fish he chased them but he was to slow and exausted. its like as if he is like a sinker he strugels to lift him self off the gravel and when he dose he just floats straight back down. hes got plenty of hidy holes hes fins are fine no damage but i looked and seen yesterday he has i small white circle on his gill about 2mm in diemeter it just looks like its been damaged but its too round and small the be another oscars bite so i dont no wat that is he seems to have lost a bit of coulor as well insted of haveing a bright red its pale pink and his black head is now grey.
    i did have a problem with alge growing every where in the tank it was like a hairy lookin alge but i got rid of that quick so yeah i dont no what is happing to him.
    ps. i dont have a camera rite now because its broken sorry bout that. but ill try and get some fotos with someone elses camera.

Dean what did you use to get rid of the algae?

I wonder if it may have had some affect on your fish.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    i didnt use anythink because i dont like to use any chemicals like that alge rid in case something bad happend all i did was when i cleaned out the tank i scrubed it all off with an ordanary sponge that i use for cleaning the tanks all the time and lowerd the light timer to 6 and a half hours to sorta stop it coming back again and it hasnt come back

Hi, I'm New Here!
    i actualy had a gill parasite in my angel fish tank and it wiped out the whole tank in one week so i thought i had transferd it somehow but the angels died really quick and they all had it but this is my only oscar that has it .
    3ft x 2ft discus tank
    4ft x 2ft oscar tank
    5ft x 1.5 ft australian native tank
    3ft x 1 ft african cichlid tank