Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eaters

Tiny Fry
    The breeding cone should be made of PVC, the clay pots are very porous, prone for bacteria and parasites to colonize and attach to the pot.
    If you do set up the breeding water of gh of 1 drop and TDS of 30 ppm, you will run into trouble of the pH crashing, you have nothing to buffer your pH and on top of that it may cause problem with the fries with almost pure or demineralized water - gill cover problem.
    Breeding water conductivity should be in the range of 60 to 80 uS/cm, gh and kh in the range of 50 to 80 ppm.
    Just my two cents worth.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Just thought I would let you know that I had seperated the female yesterday and left dad with 2 day wrigglers, well they are gone. I'm starting to feel like I'm going to have to find surrogate parents (which I dont have another pair yet) or try to manually raise them myself.

Can someone please explain how I can manually raise them PLEASE.

Shorty

Shorty... how big is this pair...

I am thinking you have the same problem as my pair, too young and still getting it right...

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi,

The pair are about 5 inches and about 2 years old.

I have them in my bedroom as it is the least traffic area in the house. Before I got them they were in a community tank and had spawned in there and of course the spawns never suvived, but they have been on their own now for 3 months and the same is still happening. I have a very faint light over the tank which is a 25watt blue bulb which is on all the time. Its night time that they eat the fry is maybe the light too dim??

I am starting to think that maybe I should put my 12 month old turks ( I think they are a pair) in the tank but divide the tank and see one of two things,
    1. See if they are male and female (the turks) and see if because the pair I have now are spawning if that will induce the turks to spawn, 2. if this is the case then hence surrogate parents.

Im getting so disheartened with this and prepared to try anything.

What do you think???

Shorty

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi guys,

Just thought I would let you know whats happening since the last post.

I have had 2 pairs form in my community tank and 2 spawnes from them, so I've moved them to their own tanks.

One of the new pairs layed the day after my original Pair, Kewl, I transfered the pot over to them and they have taken on the new fry as their own and raising them.

Its day 3 of freeswimming and they are attaching and eating from the surrogate parents and doing well.

Trace(shorty)

Excellent news... well done

Hi, I'm New Here!
    patience is a virtue and has paid off in this case. great to see
    theres a fine line between art and arson

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi guys,
    just thought i would show u a pic of my little guys and gals.

Trace

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Shorty,

glad to hear you eventually had some success. Just a thought for you: Sometimes the best way to get sucess with your fish is ti LEAVE THEM ALONE. Some people might say that i'm a tad negletful of my fish, but its the way i get most sucess, i do a good 50% water change roughly about once a month or whenever my PH drops (which is uncommon) I don't over feed, and i keep them in my gararge where they get disturbed very little. I feel that sometimes one can get too obsessed with their fish and never let them settle, keep your hands out of the tank!!!!
    I know this is not for every one but for me it works, i've got pairs forming all over the place, am raising babies etc.
    PS with the babies i do change the water more often.