Hi, I'm New Here!

Stressed-out Discus? or Ill?

Hi everyone,

At the moment, most of my blue cobalt discus are very dark, gathered in a corner of their 55g tank. There are a couple things that have changed in their environment lately, and I'm hoping you might be able to offer some thoughts. I recently added a pigeon-blood, about 1/2" larger than the largest blue. There has been some jostling and other interesting behaviors going on in response (mentioned in a previous email). Prior to adding the pigeon-blood, I had treated the tank with 250mg/10g of metronidazole for 7 days, because two of the blues had darkened, stopped eating and had stringy white feces suggestive of a protozoan infection. The medication seemed to do the trick, however it is about a week later, and most of the blues have now significantly darkened. They are eating, but less enthusiastically than usual. They clearly seem uncomfortable about something.

I do a 10% water change every other day with RO water. pH is about 6.8 or so, and the temp is about 86 degrees. The tank is bare except for a larege piece of river root. They are fed a mix of the standard assortment of frozen foods.

I am reasonably confident that the pigeon blood is parasite free, it was obtained from someone who had it in his home tank for several months. Unlike the blues, its appearance is normal, and it's eating well.

Am I overly concerned? Should I restart treatment with Metro (after having been on it for 7 full days)? What about PraziPro? I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks,

Jeff

any chance of an ammonia reading ???

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Ammonia is essentially 0. Today it became apparent that there is an ick outbreak as well, I'm treating with one of the standard commercial products. They are still not eating all that well, I wonder if the metro took care of some of the intestinal issues while the ick progressed. Hopefully the latter will be gone tomorrow *fingers crossed*