Thread: pop eye

Just an Egg

pop eye

One of my friends has a tank full of very sick discus. I gave him my bottle of prime and suggested to do daily water changes as his water changing practices are very poor. He never uses any water conditioner and only does a 25% change once every two weeks, his tank is heavily stocked with discus. He also never checks his water parameters. The water changes were working well and the fish were starting to become a bit better, but he ended up talking to a LFS person and they talked him into treating for fluke but his fish did not have any symptoms of fluke. Now he has lost one big healthy discus and is about to loose another. One has pop eye now and I would like to be able to help him save his fish that he has left.

What is the metro dose rate for pop eye and the procedures for curing it, if its possible.

Cheers

Kell

I am unsure of his water parameters. I also lent him my test kits and he just said that they all were fine.

the best cure for pop eye is excellent water quality, the best thing you could do for your friend is set up a bare bottom hospital tank at a ph of 4.5, big enough for all the fish and stick them in that for a month with daily changes and a good diet, if its not too advanced it will cure itself, isolation of the wore affected fish is also a good idea but the bugs may have spread to all the other tankmates anway.

if you want to use metro, it can help, its most effective at 25mg/L or in food at 1g/100g.

Just an Egg
    Thanks so much ILLUSN,

I will let him know. With the metro, do you add it with every water change?

Cheers

Kell

you'd have too, but again if the pop eye is well developed its noot that effective unless fed.

Just an Egg
    He does not feed his fish beefheart, so I think that it would be difficult for him to get it into their food.

Thanks

Kell

If the clean water does not do the trick, then put him in a hospital tank and treat with a full does of Maracyn 2.

hth

Hollowman
    Why me ?

Maracyn 2 is illegal in oz, if you manage to get some in i'll buy half off you, good stuff.

Oops! you learn something every day. Ok, let me see what else will treat this.
    Why me ?