Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    i like the way have done that TW , looks awesome keep the pics comeing

I'm not sure that I'm always that patient
    Hi Robert - hard to be patient, yes, but I am unlikely to ever get the ok from "management" to have another tank at all - let alone a 7ft, I want to be as happy as I can. I know I'll never be completely happy with it - but hey, I'll try. The dividing wall is siliconed in place - so changing it around later will not be an easy task.

Merrilyn - thanks for popping in. After visiting your wild planted tank recently, that changed my vision for this tank. That was as late as after I started siliconing the rocks in place. The additional driftwood was purchased after both the "low light thread" & being inspired by your tank. I couldn't swap to your style completely, as the divisional walls were siliconed in place & the 2 substrates purchased - but your tank was an inspiration. Also due to your tank, I think my plant list (see earlier post in this thread) will simplify & contain fewer varieties. I will include more swords. BTW, have you had experience with Echinodorus Uruguayensis? Do they get really big? I really like how they look & would like to include a few - but if they end up as monster size swords, it would be good to know this so I plant less of them.

Today, I started to play around with rocks & building mounds, trying to bring more 3D into the tank. I now have a few small mounds in there, but whether the water washes away the mounds I've built when I fill the tank - well, we'll see. 3 of the mounds have crypts draped over them, to soften their look. Another one that can still be seen clearly, I'm thinking will have a grouping of Blyxa japonica in front of it - so not much will be visible there.

Placed the riccia stones at different angles & more spaced out. Trying to make them look less like a man made edging. Some of the built in dividing stones may be left exposed, to break it up. The riccia rocks can be played with easily & moved at will. I probably can't get a real idea of their best placement, until the riccia bushes up.

Pics only have subtle changes, but here they are:-

Full front

Left Hand side - with 2 new mounds, & new crypt planting

Middle / Right Side with riccia rocks rearranged, new rock/mounds & new crypt planting

Far right - new rock mound, new crypt planting

Shots of HC, taken from above

The plant I'm less sure of working in a terrarium setting (as this is for the next few weeks) is riccia. I'm not sure if they will dry out this way.

I don't expect any further changes here until I'm ready to fill with water. That's when swords, stems & the balance of plants will go in.

Thanks for looking
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

I have always been a fan of the Tom Barr waterless method. If the right plants are planted this way I dont think you can get results any better by other means. Sure beats what ADA & others recommend....

Blue Diamond Discus
    Robyn I love the mold on rocks approach. This ones gotta be a winner forsure.

Anyone had experience with Echinodorus Uruguayensis. Do they get really big
    This plant wont take the heat of a discus tank, I've got red and green horemanni and neither do well at temps above 25-26C.

In my unheated tank (20-25C) these things can easily 3/4 fill a 4x2x2 on their own.

If you want some big swords for a discus tank drop me a PM.
    if its the leafshape of the Uruguayensis that you like maybe try a native "lace plant" they'll take the temp.

Medium Discus
    looking brilliant , glad i popped back in

Proteus, Matt, ILLUSN & fishgeek - thanks for popping by & for the positive comments. Scott, thanks as well, as I didn't see your post earlier.

ILLUSN, I'm so disappointed by the news re: Echinodorus Uruguayensis. I should have checked this info out on tropica. I do love the long thin, yet firm, leaf shape. The lace plants just don't quite match it, but I'll check some of them out. Not sure what to do with the 2 plants I already have, considering you say they can 3/4 fill a 4x2x2 on their own. My apisto tank is only 3x2x2 & is divided in half with a glass divider. If I either kept it trimmed back or kept in a pot, would it stay small enough not to take over & dominate?

I'll send you a PM for your suggestions for big swords for a discus tank.

if you grow them in something like a 150mm pot it signicantly restricts their growth, thats how i keep mine now to keep them small, pop them into pots with some good substrate and drop them into your apisto tank they'll do fine, I've got my "baby" horemannis growing in an 80L, with good regular pruning they stay managable.

tey're a great plant, probably my favorite sword.

I'm thinking I may have to re-assess my vision of swords on this tank. According to the specs on Tropica, all the swords will just grow to big.

I'm looking for suggestions that will give me a similar look to swords, but not be so big that my driftwood will be lost. I'm thinking of:

Aponogeton crispus http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia...t_detail&p=886
    Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=68 and
    I will still have Willow leaf hygro "Hygrophila salicifolia" http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=279 and http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_da...ustifolia.html

Maybe Red Lace Plant, but they are out of stock http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_da...ryspermus.html and Branching Val http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_da...aulescens.html - but that's also out of stock.

Any other suggestions will be welcome. Must do well in a discus tank, around 28-29 deg.

Thanks in advance.

tw have you got any new pics would love to see it done hehe