Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks for the extra advice fishgeek
    best is to by the ammonia,
    yes, but ....
    Quote from post by Merrilyn: The problem with cloudy ammonia is that it has detergent in it, and we sure don't need that in the tank.....Clear ammonia has been harder and harder to find over the last couple of years. Seems it's an ingredient in bombs or something.
    and
    Quote from post by Samir : cloudy does not work
    So it seems ammonia is out as an option . I even have to sign & give a photocopy of my drivers licence to supplier of my dry ferts (seems they are also an ingredient in bomb making).
    where's them pictures?
    Yes, I know I owe you pics - but a bit hard since I'm still waiting .... waiting .... waiting for the tank to be delivered. For now, pics of the cabinet (prev post) will have to do LOL, sorry.
    Previously known as "Tankwatcher"

San Merah Discus
    I reckon they'll be fine TW. The filters should have some capacity to biologically filter once they are hooked up and as Andrew said, it's a fairly big tank so your fish load might not make that much of an ammonia dent. Note: "might"

Maybe some pics of your little Lori will have to do until the tank arrives.

Maybe some pics of your little Lori will have to do until the tank arrives.
    Hi Robdog, do you mean Butch, my Olive Rainbow Lorikeet - if so, ok, you asked for it. I love him heaps & love sharing pictures.

Enjoying a tickle fight

All wet from his bath

Testing out his toys - as well as the toys in the pic, he has a large toy box under the cage with all the spare toys - a very spoiled bird

Last one - Enjoying a visit with Cheeky, my son's "Red Collared Rainbow Lorikeet"

Anyways, I'll be in trouble now - cause what are bird pics doing in a thread about setting up a planted tank. I'll blame you Robdog LOL

I promise, the next pics here will be of the tank & it's setting up process.

Yipee - they're delivering the tank on Saturday morning

Larvae
    TW!!!! first person ive seen with an olive rainbow lorikeet other than myself!! Finally i know im not alone...

I have never even seen one before, what a beautiful bird!!

Holloman
    Why me ?

Larvae
    I LOVE rainbow lori's. They can be such idiots!

I used to have one many years ago.
    Everybody sing with me.....
    I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go.......

And no wonder why,

A 6 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot paradise for fish!
    Eco-Complete substrate, CO2 injection, pH controller set at 6.7, Custom electronic lighting system and heating control made by the owner, ME!

Fish? oh yeah...
    20 Neon's, 10 Cardinal's, 10 Rummy-Nose, 4 Headstanders, 4 Danio's, 2 Discus, 2 Congo's, 2 Clown's, 2 Bristlenose and 1 Siamese Algae Eater aka 'The Plant Mulcher' so far to date.

Not much as yet, but here is a pic of how I think I will be laying this out. As the layout suggests, there will be two planted sections & a beach section in the middle & across the front.

The driftwood is bigger than I thought & doesn't fit laying down & I don't want to cut/break it, so at least at the beginning, this is how I think I will have it. I hope it will look nice when there are anubias on the lower sections. I won't be using any moss, as I don't really like it. I have a smaller & lower piece of driftwood for the right side planted section, but it's still in the current discuss setup, so not shown here.

The rock border will be mainly covered in substrate, so won't be too prominent I hope.

TW!!!! first person ive seen with an olive rainbow lorikeet other than myself!! Finally i know im not alone...
    albatrozz, there's not so many olives - that's why my daughter chose Butch - to be a bit different . I know of a 2yr old olive rainbow for sale at a local pet store, if you're interested.
    I have never even seen one before, what a beautiful bird!!
    I won't argue there, Hollowman LOL
    I LOVE rainbow lori's. They can be such idiots!
    I can tell you know them, Bald_noggin. That's what makes them such fun pets - keep you smiling, don't they!

Blue Diamond Discus
    Layout looks great Robyn, can't wait to see it once you've laid the substrate and planted the plants. 7 foot certainly is HUGE..!!!

Thanks for the visit Matt.

Planning layout is taking longer than thought. Played around with the rocks a bit. Planted areas are enlarged & sand area smaller. Bought a few more pieces of driftwood & tried to arrange so they look a little like tree roots growing out of substrate.

As they need to be buried a little in the substrate, I wil probably need to soak them for before the substrate goes in. Sand is in now. About to test if the driftwood floats or not. Updated pics follow.

full tank - with sand

Left Hand Side - with sand

Right Hand Side - with sand

that's it for now