Hi, I'm New Here!

Please help!!! Headstanding and fin rot

pH 6.2
    Temp 30 degC
    NO2 – nil
    N03 – 20ppm
    NH3 – nil

Hello, I have had my pair of discus (blue turquoise) for almost 4 years, encountering only a couple minor health problems until now. The male is the more timid and smaller of the pair and the female the sturdiest health wise. I have been treating the male for fin rot in his tail for several weeks now. I have tried Melafix/Pimafix (no improvement), tetracycline (2 doses – minor improvement but they both went off their food) and also 4 or 5 treatments of Fungus Finrot (active constituent Malachite Green – some improvement). I have been speaking with a local discus breeder for advice. After no success with the above he suggested I try Stress Guard for a week. I did so but only for about 5 days as the condition was visibly worsening not only in the male (over half his tale had gone back to the base and the base itself was looking very nasty) but also the female who had only a very minor occurrence to begin with. As the next step I was advised to approach a local vet for a course of doxycycline. Just prior to starting this medication the male stopped eating and then started to turn very dark, almost black and had what appeared to be a webbing of mucus over his body. He then started headstanding. This was 5 days ago. In conjunction with the antibiotics I started to steadily lower the pH and increase the temp (I read about this on this forum for treating bacterial infections). He is no longer dark and the mucus has gone but he is now looking very pale, still not eating, fin rot not improved and still headstanding. Yesterday I progressively lowered the water in the tank to half and have been gently coaxing him to the upright position periodically throughout the day. He does, on and off, swim about but will always end up head down and this is where he spends the majority of his time when left alone. I also administered a dose of Epsom salts 1.5 tsp/50l H20 last night and 1tsp/50l tonight. I’ve thrown a lot at this poor little guy and his mate trying to make him better but I’ve not got it right. I hate to see him suffer. Is there anything I can do for him or should I end his suffering? I gave the last dose of antibiotic today, and called the vet. He suggested we try another dose since there has been no improvement but I am sceptical about its efficacy in this case. And then there is the headstanding which I am really worried about. For any advice you provide, thank you.

Sorry to hear of this. Please read this thread on another forum that suggests some help for you I am sure.

http://www.forum.bidka.org/showthread.php?t=2927

I hope it pulls through

Hollowman
    Why me ?

ok, if he's off his food, themn its going to be a lot harder to bring him back, get your ph to 5.0 or even 4.5 at this ph the bacteria causing the fin rot will have a very hard time. discontinue the epson salt it wont really help in your case. try adding regular rock salt at 2tsp/40L, this will help balance out the effects of the epson salts.

you need to get him eating, try live brine shrimp, or if need be live blackworms (make sure they're clean, ie in VERY clean water when you buy them.)

if you can get him eating and keep your temp at 30c(you could even go to 31) and your ph low he should recover fast enough to fight off the bacterial infection, if you can, get some fishtamins from sera and dose the tank at around 1 drop/5L, this will help get his metabolisum going again.

good luck, hes going to need lots of small feeds throughout the day (aim for 3-4) and SUPER clean water.

get him onto a good beefheart mix once he starts eating then ask your vet for some metro, and some Potasium permangenate. have some levimenisole and prazi on hand, if he gets a bad batch of worms you'll have to treat him for internal paracites and flukes.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks so much guys for your quick reply. I will add the rock salt now and get onto the vet and pet stores tomorrow. Do I get the levimenisole and prazi from the vet as well? Thanks again.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I can't comment on Levimenisole but most decent aquarium stores should stock prazi no worries, just make sure it isnt out of date (you can guess who's done that before).

San Merah Discus
    You can get Levimisole as a Pig and Poultry wormer and it will work fine.
    You can find it online http://www.2easy.com.au/shop/articles.php?cat=1232