Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: blind discus?

Larvae
    With all due respect I don't care if he's stunted, I like him and wanna try to save him.

Larvae
    Also to reply to Joe, sadly its not just that discus it's flicking around my tank and other guys are getting it on and off. Its just sticking real hard to him.

Please dont think that I was telling you to do this, we all love our fish whether they are show winners or the lowest in the pecking order.
    But sometimes, we have to do the right thing, and I have had to do this to one of mine just last week. If you cannot save him, then I have suggested a painless and dignified method for you to use.

I kept a one eyed fish for several years, she was a great mother too and produced loads of fry, but she was blind from birth, and was adjusted, having a fish loose an eye after it has been used to both might lead to its slow death if it gets stressed and gets a secondary infection.

Let me look into treating for you, I'll have to do some digging

Hollowman
    Why me ?

Larvae
    I was told by somebody to try maracyn 1 and 2 together for ten days while doing a water change then repeating a dose each time to keep the water always super clean and medicated. If it dosen't work and he can't adjust I'll of course do the right thing.

Also on an interesting side note, in my aggressive tank upstairs YEARS ago, I put a silver dollar who was slightly smaller then the oscar in the tank (was going to let him grow in there). The oscar showed him whois boss and actually popped his eye. Not only since then till now is the silver dollar alive he's grown to be as tremendous as that oscar all with one eye. He's one of my healthiest in that tank and has had that 1 eye for years now.

a fish can live for years with only 1 eye so dont let that put you off, my biggest oscar only ever had 1 eye.

have you seen any improvement at all Dan?

Larvae
    Hard to tell so far, but I'm hoping for some change.

Wrigglers
    Just came back from overseas and sorry for this late reply to your call, Dan.

This is an internal bacteria infection of the eye. It should not be a fungus infection.

Try to bring your pH lower but gradually to 5.5 or 5 over a day and maintain as that....using acid like phosphoric acid

Another way to bring down the ph from your pH 6 is to add as many dried Cattapa leaves as possible....10 leaves per day and continue adding and testing the pH everyday. ...till you reach and maintain at 5.

Ensure that the leaves must be very dry before you put in .....as damp or non-fully dried may foul the water....thus pushing up the ammonia and killing the fish. If this occur, change ALL water and repeat adding leaves

Cattapa leaves release acid slowly and discus can take it well. Adding an antibiotic together should help and speedup the recuperation....like erythromycin....or my concoction which I would not like to mention the name here as it is not nice.

Bear in mind that there may be possible success in the treatment but some chronic infection may be irreversible because of major/permanent damage to the organ.

Hope that helps...

Take care,
    Andrew
    'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
    'Discus, The Naked Truth'
    Author
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e.php?ref=home

Larvae
    Thanks for the assistance Andrew,

I've been treating with Erythromycin now for 2 days (maracyn 1 and 2) Each tablet of marcyn 1 contains 200MG of it.

While my fish seem to be responding to the medication and are starting to act a bit more normal the thing on the eye remains.

I'm not exactly sure where I can get those leaves or acid. Would PH down work? Also all the stupid testers here in NY the ph testing chart only starts off at 6.0 so I'm not sure what color 5-5.5 would be.

Is the medication strong enough or is there something better? My method of treating so far has been to do a water change then dose the tank every 24 hours. Was going to do this for about 10 days or so. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for the help.

Dan ph down is usually phosphoric acid, it will work fine.

Wrigglers
    Yes ....pH down is o.k. since it said "DOWN"...ha!ha!

Sorry...I forgot you are in N.Y.....definitely no Cattapa leaves....maybe in florida...

Nothing much you can do...except take out all the plants and also clean the gravels.

So, 1) Lower pH

2) treatment with antibiotics (yes also add metronidazole 1.5gm to 100 liter water....add lukewarm water to dissolve before adding into tank.)

3) Take out all plants and clean gravel....and kill all bacteria in your bio-filter and restart and reseed with new bacteria.

Andrew
    'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
    'Discus, The Naked Truth'
    Author
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e.php?ref=home