Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: blind discus?

Wrigglers
    Yes ....pH down is o.k. since it said "DOWN"...ha!ha!

Sorry...I forgot you are in N.Y.....definitely no Cattapa leaves....maybe in florida...

Nothing much you can do...except take out all the plants and also clean the gravels.

So, 1) Lower pH

2) treatment with antibiotics (yes also add metronidazole 1.5gm to 100 liter water....add lukewarm water to dissolve before adding into tank.)

3) Take out all plants and clean gravel....and kill all bacteria in your bio-filter and restart and reseed with new bacteria.

Andrew
    'Discus, Problems and Solutions'
    'Discus, The Naked Truth'
    Author
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e.php?ref=home

Larvae
    Gotcha. This may sound silly but how do I kill all the bacteria?

Dan, remove the filter put all the filter media in a bucket or tub, and sterilize everything with chlorine bleach, including the hoses and inlet pipes. Leave everything to soak for at least 24 hours, then thoroughly rinse the media and hoses. For the final rinse, use a double dose of chlorine remover in the water to get rid of all the bleach. Toss out the old filter wool and carbon, and replace with new.

Get some used filter media from the filter in your other tank, to kick start the bio filter again.

You'll need to do daily water changes and monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels while your filter is re-cycling.

While you're at it, I'd give the gravel and plastic plants a soak in bleach solution, to remove any lurking bacteria.

Follow Andrew's advice about lowering the pH slowly. You may need to buy a digital pH pen to monitor the levels. The test kits don't go low enough.

Treating your fish in the bare tank with antibiotics is the best way. So long as you've got an airstone in threre, and you're doing daily water changes, you won't have problems with ammonia or nitrite.

Keep the lights dimmed. A number of antibiotics are affected by strong light.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Larvae
    Thanks merrylin, I had already taken out everything other then gravel which I vac everyday during the change to keep my tank clean.

I wanted to give everyone an update of my fish and wanted to say that while I have been unable to get enough metro for 2 treatments (I have 5 grams will get another 5 on friday when the petstore gets their order). The maracyn 1 and 2 has done wonders, my guy has nothing on his eye anymore and is eating with his fins not clamped. I'm not really worrried about anyone anymore except my Red Turqs are still VERY SHY and I have to really go out of my way to make sure they eat for now. I lowered my PH to 5 (bought a digital thing) so now I guess before I say all my thank you's my only question is should I still go with a metro treatment just incase? And also bleach my filter if I do the metro or don't do it? I'm definatly going to finish the maracyn treatment but from here on in I'd just like to know what you guys think.

I'd love to show you pictures of my guys but my water is so cloudy from the maracyn I can barely see inside. Thank you everyone for helping me including a special thanks for Andrew and Illusn. I'll report back soon with some pictures when the dust is settled.

Larvae
    Sorry but I guess this is a time sensitive issue so if anyone can answer my questions from my previous reply I'd appreciate it. Thanks.