Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: blind discus?

Larvae

blind discus?

One of my red turqs was suffering from that horrible fungus like growth on his eye and I believe has gone blind in 1 eye. He's very fragile right now and darts around if anyone swims by that eye. The fungus has since gone away or is in the process of completely going away. He still has a tiny bit of white i the center of his eye and towards the left side seems to be a lil dark red on one side and light red on the right side of his eye. Is his eye going to get better or will he be blind and die off? His other eye has since gone from that nice "red eye" we like to black and dark. He's not really eating unless food falls infront of him. Since today he's been hanging out on top of the tank. Is there anything I can do for him or nah?

Larvae
    How long had it been since he has eaten??? Have you gotten a look at his poo? The reason i ask(not eating) is a signt of internal parasites, Plus (Black eye) is another si.gn somthing is wrong. As far as blindness i have no idea about that. But i do know you should watch for white poo if you see white stringy poo he has parasites causing him to not have much of an appetite

Joe
    50 gallon aquarium,1 brown discus,1 Jack Wattley Turquoise,1 Marlboro red,1 Pidgeon blood,1 snakeskin,and 1 cobalt. One fluval 305,and an eheim 2215,Kent marine nitrate absorber and ceremic tubes for bio load. Change 1/4 of my water 7 days a week.

Larvae
    I never see any of my fish poop, even the ones that eat like pigs. Its very strange.

Larvae
    Well if he did have internal parasites atleast hex you would see the intestinal lining being shed,its white and puffy very noticible that its not nornal check the bottom of the tank where the sick discus hangs out look for the poo there. Keep us informed

Joe
    50 gallon aquarium,1 brown discus,1 Jack Wattley Turquoise,1 Marlboro red,1 Pidgeon blood,1 snakeskin,and 1 cobalt. One fluval 305,and an eheim 2215,Kent marine nitrate absorber and ceremic tubes for bio load. Change 1/4 of my water 7 days a week.

Larvae
    I took some pics of my major problem in the fish tank, I don't know what to do. All my water changes , modified tap water or modified RO water won't help. I'm completly out of ideas. This is basically it, I'm about to give up perhaps I'm just not meant to have discus and thats it. Anyway if anybody has really anything that can give me some hope let me know.

Larvae
    Yeah looks like that eye is pretty bad.... His color looks good he isnt dark so maybe no internal parasites.... But i do not know about that eye. Almost looks like a cataract or somthing of that nature. Any way how often do you do water changes??? I dont really think R/O would help much,Just do alot of water changes all you have to do is age you water overnight let the chlorine evaporate and let the gasses evaporate out. I had one cobalt that was plagued with cloudy eye,Id treat with meds and it would come back, So with some excellent advice from some people from this website i decided to up my water changes to 1/4 every night=175% per week. The cloudy eye went totally away never to rear its ugly head again. Let us know your water parameters, Ph,Ammonia,Nitrates,Nitrites???

Joe

Larvae
    I've been doing a crazy amount of water changes..

Parameters are 86 F , 0 alk, 50 hardness, ammonia nitrite 0 , nitrate 1, ph 6.0. My water is crystal clear, i have aa rena xp3 (for over 100 gallon) on a 75 gallon. I just don't get it. Everybody including the best of the best here are stumped.

Larvae
    Last 3 days I did 40% each time, I woke uip today and noticed his eye got alot worse.

Larvae
    Maybe just a problem with that fish.. I wouldnt give up on discus. When i first got into discus i found a little turk in a lfs she was a very sick girl. With alot of tlc she is one of my nicest discus and hopefully soon to be a mommy : ) Its very rewarding once everything is up and running perfectly. And if it is perminant then you can name pirate or somthing.

Joe

If the fish is hiding , not eating and basically looking stressed, it might be best/easier to euthanise him. To be honest, the fish is stunted quite badly, so it does not have the best potential, and if left like this it might just be a long a painful demise for it.
    If this is the direction you decide to take, them the best way to do this is to use Clove Oil, it is a painless and stress free way to euthanise a fish. Clove oil can be bought in any chemist/pharmacy, (used for human tooth relief) I can give more details on its use should you need it, or just want to know.

hth

Hollowman
    Why me ?