Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QUICK HELP

Medium Discus
    def some rock salt would help, use 1 teaspoon per 40ltr water and if you have got a hospital tank setup i would be putitng the sick fish in there with rock salt added in

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Dont have rock salt but just put some nitra zorb which is meant to help lower the ammonia.. Nothing else we can do now. she seems to be getting worse.. All the other discus arnt hiding in the corner anymore.. I know its weird but they seemed concerned.
    She is just swimming and floating and occasionally twitching! Her colour is still dark in parts and really light in other parts.
    2ft... 3ft.... now 4ft we cant stop

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Can anyone recommend what is the best product to get to lower ammonia?

Addicted2discus sory to hear what has happend , how many fish do you have sick or is it only the one?
    as others have said you need to get the ph down use (ph down ) put in some extra air stones ad get rid of the ammonia,
    have a read of this it will tell you how to deal with all you are going though , http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4766
    good luck keep us posted

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Woke up this morning to find that she didnt make it through the night! We are extremly disappointed.. We have just done another water change but the ammonia doesnt seem to be getting any lower. Any suggestions??
    As soon as its hits 9am im going to buy something to bring the ammonia down..
    Just so everyone knows this is a run down on our tank.

#8 discus (now 7)
    #1 ballon ram
    #15 neons
    #4 suckie fish
    #1 albion cory
    #1 molly

We have rocks in the tank, pieces of driftwood and there were artificial plants but we took them out yesterday.
    We have 2 fluval 205 filters running and an air stone.

What should be our plan of attack now so the others dont get sick? They are huddled in the corner only occasionally coming out.
    Please help!!!

Wrigglers
    Keep doing larger water changes more often, and just use something like Prime in the new water to remove chlorine & chloramines etc. I'm not sure Cycle is what you should be adding to the new water. I'd stick with Prime at a double dose rate for now.

Depending on the pH of your tap water it might be difficult to keep the pH below 7.0 where ammonia becomes 'safer' in its ammonium form (NH4+) so keep an eye on it. If you keep up the water changes you'll manage the ammonia and shouldn't lose any more Discus.

Sounds to me like your tank is cycling again, so watch out for nitrite (NO2) soon as that can be lethal to Discus even at small doses.

Regards,

Greggy

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks everyone for your help.. We have Metro on the way from the vet.. We got ammo lock so the ammonia is on its way down.. we were advised to change whats in our filter to enihm (thats not how you spell it) So hopefully everything should get better in the next few days.. The 7 discus seem ok.. they ate from my hand before so thats a good sign..
    I'll keep you posted..
    Fingers crossed.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi guys.. We got Metro from the vet.. They gave us 16 tblets.. There guidlines are to have a clean tank and then put all 16 tablets in...
    ???? any comments.
    We have a 4ft tnk and the vet said that that is how to do it. Although i've been reading the forum and everyone here seems to only do a few tablets at a time..
    ???????

Sorry I didn't see this post before.

It definately seems like you've had an ammonia spike for some reason. First thing to do is to check your tap water. What are the readings there, and what are your current tank readings.

Stop using the cycle at each waterchange. The product you need to use is PRIME which will remove the chlorine and chloramine from the water, and also neutralize any ammonia left in the tank, so that it doesn't harm your fish.

You'll still get an ammonia reading, but it will be harmless to your fish.

At this stage, I wouldn't even add the metro, because I'm not convinced that your fish do indeed have the plague. An ammonia reading can cause your fish to act as you described.

Do add some cooking salt (from the supermarket) at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 40 litres of tank water. It will help with breathing and also neutralize the effects of nitrite.

Put the plastic plants back into the tank. Your fish may be hiding because they feel exposed in the tank with no plants to hide behind. Crowding into a corner is fairly normal under the circumstances.

I've sent you a PM with my mobile number. You're welcome to call me any time if you're concerned.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend