Thread: Moving home

Medium Discus

Moving home

Hi Guys,

Im moving home next tue/wed. Wish me luck!

Any tips for keeping the discus/tetras calm? I have moved with my fish tank before but that was when i had angels Etc and although nerve racking, it was quite easy. i have a feeling Discus is going to be more time consuming.

I was planning on putting all my water into different storage bins (60l & 70l) then put the fish into two bins. Then spread sponge filters, plants and gravel over other barrels. Just the fish tank stuff will be in a seperate truck load and will be driven snail pace by me and my brother. Will set everything back up at the new place and put them back in. Is this ok or should i do it another way?

Just an Egg
    well when we moved 7 large 6'' or so we just used a square bucket not a round one they did not like that they dont like going round id say, just added some stress coat and air pump and lot of water with lid but with 4'' hole in it and held on my lap sweet as .
    new house more tanks all the best with the move .

cheers coco

Blue Diamond Discus
    I would steer away from the storage bins idea. The water would move around far too much and stress the living bejesus outta them.

How long will this trip be?

If its going to be a long one I would recommend the following:

- Use 2x plastic bags and create 2x layers with newspaper inbetween
    - Put around 70% water inside... then place fish inside... then co2 and seal the bag. (same as your lfs)
    - There is a liquid "drug/med" which is used to calm fish for transportation. I can't remember the name sorry.
    - Place each bag firmly within a foam box ensuring the bags won't move around much. The foam will also help to maintain temp.

There's loads of information using google too.

Gl with the move Aaron....

Just an Egg
    ""Put around 70% water inside... then place fish inside... then co2 and seal the bag. (same as your lfs)""
    I think he meant "o2" ..

Blue Diamond Discus
    lol yeh... thanks for that. Oxygen not carbon dioxide........

Medium Discus
    Great, thanks for the tips guys. Sorry i didnt get back earlier, have not yet hooked up internet at the new home and have just come back to work today from Holidays.

So the move went well. The trip was only about a 30min car ride - if that. Moved from St Marys back to Newington. I ended up soaking/rinsing some plastic garbage bags (for double measure) and double lining a couple of buckets. Those buckets where seat belted in the back seat of the car. with blankets for padding. I only had one Polystyrene tub. They didnt seem stress when i got them into their new place and were swiming around as usual. The nanna driving by my girlfriend helped keep them as settled as possible.

The tanks were transported in the truck, padded with blankets and tied in between furniture.

Thanks again guys.