Thread: Discus Strain??

Larvae

Discus Strain??

Sorry for the blurry pics but can anyone tell me what strain two of my discus are?? I bought them from Oakleigh and there was nothing on the tank saying what they were, we just simply picked out what we liked
    I know the two red marlboro, am I right in guessing one of the other two is a pigeon of some sort? Very confused as to what the blue/green one is?? Thanks..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1160.jpg   img_1159_163.jpg  

Larvae
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1158.jpg  

Blue Diamond Discus
    Nice fish Tracey.

Your three lighter coloured fish are technically all forms of pigeon.

I would say your new one is just a pigeon blood. Love the colouring and patterns....

And your new blue one is the most common domestic strain called a blue turquoise. Personaly my fav strain.

Larvae
    Thanks Matt
    The funny thing with the two red marlboro is when you look at them you can not see the white markings around their gills but in the photos they are extremely obvious! I was so surprised the way they showed up in the pics. The place we bought them from had Red Marlboro written on the tank.. I thought the blue was a blue turk but being the beginner I am I was not completely sure
    I love them dearly, they all have their own unique personality and I think they are gorgeous

Blue Diamond Discus
    Yeh they are good looking fish and will look fantastic when they're adults.

The Discus i've just sold here looks very simular to your two. He was sold as a yellow melon and unlike his siblings he had the most blue/white stripes and the brightest red fins.
    http://www.discusforums.com/forum/vi...605&highlight=
    They're all from the pigeon variety but can be classified and sold as a more specific type. Eg. marlboro, melon or tangerine are some of the more common names.
    The red in there fins should become more predominant as they get older too.
    Only downside with pigeon varieties is the peppering but some owners see this as character on there fish.

Larvae
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt15
    Only downside with pigeon varieties is the peppering but some owners see this as character on there fish.
    I don't mind at all, to me they are beautiful.. Nothing wrong with freckles!

Blue Diamond Discus
    Hahahaha.... true... i've never thought of them like that