Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: discus colors

Larvae

discus colors

Im a real newbie so dont get upset if this obvious but is there any reason why my discus's colors fade and come back. Sometimes I look at them (they are like blue) and they have 0 color whatsoever. They seem healthy to.

Blue Diamond Discus
    My discus do the same thing which I believe is simular to peoples moods. I guess different tank factors and environments can also play part here as well as a discus growing though to adult hood.

Nothing to be too worried about, but simular symptoms can relate to sickness. So just keep an eye on them.

what colour are they ?

post a picture if you can.

Larvae
    I believe that I have 2 cobaly blue and 1 turqoise red, but the thing is when they don't have their color they are completly pale. So just take a look at some of your discus's and imagine they are pale.

Blue Diamond Discus
    If your really concerned about this post a picture. It will tell a million words then just a brief description which could be anything.

Blue Diamond Discus
    Sorry Dan I should of added....... i've got a Cobalt who's black vertical stress bars disapear and reapear. But he never looks "completely pale". Hope this helps

Larvae
    I've been trying to take pictures but really having no luck =(. It always comes out way to blurry or they move. Bastards, jk i love those guys. Anyway if it helps, my turqoise thats the largest of the group (probably like 4 inches) his stress bars never dissapear and i've never seen his full body shine since putting him in. I'm not sure why, my water is kind of hard (WAITING ON MY RO FILTER TO COME IN) but I just want to know if its any health problems i should worry about. The other ones stress bars appear and re-appear.

Also if you can help my post on my RO filtration i'd appreciate it Matt since your everywhere! Thanks.

Blue Diamond Discus
    lol @ everywhere comment, mate I'm really just a novice at Discus keeping.

I'm more than happy to give you some tips for taking pics. Really its just a comination of practice and patience.

As for your turq I'm not exactly sure what your asking there. The stress bars on a discus can come and go infrequently as they are not only related to stress but environmental factors as well.
    My cobalts are very predominant atm as he's one of two breeding pairs sharing a community tank.

Sorry I can't comment on RO systems. I have little to no experience with them because I use a rain water tank.

Medium Discus
    there is something wrong with your fish when they never show colour,please post your water parameter

Larvae
    temp 82-86
    ph 6.2
    hardness - i believe is around 170 =( stupid nyc tap water. I've conditioned it though and just gonna try and get by till monday when I get my R.O. Could this be the problem?

And the thing with the turquoise is, his dead center of the body never really shows the color, its relatively dark. I'll try to get pics up tomorrow.