Hi, I'm New Here!

Two Discus not eating

Hi I have a 250 gallon tank , 2 wild discus 7", 1-red mellon 5-6", 2 pigeons 3", 1 turquoise 5" 1" turquoise 2", and my two problematic 2 1/2" red mellons. The tank has 5 full size angels , 6 clown loaches, 1-giant gourami 28"(and peacful). Water temperature is 85 chemicaly ok, oxygen is good. Ph is proper zone. I bought these two guys in August they are almost skeletal in appearance now, both a vigorous and active, all other fish are eating well. I feed flakes and Azonic Discus pellets as well as blood worm treats on occasion, brine shrimp on occasion. I only have the one tank, they are not getting bullied by anyone. I think they are anorexic. Any suggestions people, even skinny these two are still beautiful specimens. Thanks for any help, and forgive the long build up just wanted to give as much info on tank mates and conditions as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails discus-061111_5web.jpg  

John

Refer to the Medication and illness section. Without knowing more id say they need to be wormed.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for the reply, I did check the Sick section as you advised I will give it a go. Only thing odd is that all other discus are fine these two dont eat at all wouldnt they still eat with worms? They were purchased same time as a pair, in August.They seem not to have eaten at all in the last 2-3 months if thats possible, they have lost atleast 1/2 of their body mass.

John, it could be worms, and worming the fish may help. It's obvious they've been eating something, but not much, and certainly not enough to allow for growth.

Young discus never do well in a community tank with large tankmates, and you do have some large tankmates in there Even large discus have a hard time competing against hungry angels for food, which is one of the reasons why we don't recommend angels and discus be kept together. (There are several other reasons, the main one being health.)

Is it possible to move the two sick fish into a hospital tank on their own, worm them and offer them some live food to build their strength up, and get them eating properly.

I'm afraid they may not make it unless you move them.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Hi, I'm New Here!
    thanks Merrilyn
    I'm going to throw them in an old hex 30 gal with an airator, hopefully the meds are available in the states. Not used to loosing fish , average age of a fish in my tank is over 10 yrs old, GEORGE (Gourami) is 15 years, My Cats are all 20+ years old, Angels are 8 yrs, Most Discus are atleast 3-4 yrs old. Well established no bullies alowed, over fed so no problem with food available, I vacuum every 3-5 days, 25% water change every 10 days.
    I see several meds listed in the sick section is there any particular recomended for the worm type you think they might have?

Larvae
    Hey buddy,Im located in deland florida ive done alot of surveying work in tavares,Nice area. Im sure there are a ton of meds available all around you, Jungle makes a great product called parasite clear. You get out towards daytona or deland? There are plenty of places around here Where do you buy your discus???

Joe
    50 gallon aquarium,1 brown discus,1 Jack Wattley Turquoise,1 Marlboro red,1 Pidgeon blood,1 snakeskin,and 1 cobalt. One fluval 305,and an eheim 2215,Kent marine nitrate absorber and ceremic tubes for bio load. Change 1/4 of my water 7 days a week.