Hi, I'm New Here!

Me again, but not so great

i had told you i bought 3 small discus last week, for a reason i don't know the three of them died within the next few days, water parameters were good and steady, by good i mean, ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0, nitrate <15 ppm, the tank was previously cycled for 6 weeks, filtration is an Eheim 2217 with spraybar, and i added an brand new AC300, they were eating frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp, my tap water comes with a Ph of 7.2 and a GH of 10, i set temp at 86 after some advice here.

I took the fish to the LFS to claim for warranty, and after a while i brought 5 a little larger than silver dollar size and they are doing well since friday, they eat pellets now, i bought these azoo 9in1 discus pellets,

since they are the ones they were being fed at the LFS, they started eating them on saturday morning, i have not fed them frozen bloodworms since i don't know if that might have had something to do with their death.

I hope this is not too confusing, and i would like to listen some opinions cause i'm blank here.

Nimbusv, I am very sorry to hear of your loss...

If all 3 didnt make it, possibly it was something they were already harbouring prior to you getting them. One other thing, since you know your own water parameters, do you know what the waterconditions at the store are? if the pH is drasticaly different, quite possibly shock may have set in , and everything went down hill from there.

I know it is a pain having to lose so many fish in one hit, but keep your chin up, and hopefully the current lot will live a happy and long life in your care.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Thanks for the reply Proteus, i tested the water from the LFS before introducing them to the tank its Ph was 7.0 and GH was 8.

I've been wanting to keep discus for a long time but was knd of intimidated by the stories i'd heard before, no now i'm a little in panic wondering if every thing i do is the right thing

Everything you are doing is correct, and the most important thing is you are asking questions...

Whilst I dont have all the answers, I am sure as more people see this post more ideas will be thrown around as to what happenned and how to prevent it re-occurring..

Out of curiousity, are these Discus locally bred, or wild caught??? (since you are lucky enough to be in a part of the world where wild caught is readily available)

oh, and dont believe all the hype about how difficult Discus are to keep... I have lost a lot more other fish than I have Discus since I started with them... and just look at them, I mean is there anything as majestic as a shoal of Discus gliding around a tank??? (Nope... )

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I am pretty certain these Discus are locally bred, since 2 are red turquoise and the other 3 are snakeskin, or so i was told, i'll post pics to be sure.

You are right Wild caught is available, but there are so few knowleadgable LFS that most don't have a clue.

Thanks for the info, i'll try yo get some pics tonight

I tend to agree with Proteus on the thought that they were most likely harboring something. Especially for all 3 to go like that.
    I am very sorry.