Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just an Egg

Do you need to QT if no other discus in the tank?

Do you need to QT if there are no other discus in the tank?

I have had this tank set up with all tankmates (some kuhli loaches and neon tetras) for over 7 months now. Is it necessary to QT the discus in a separate tank.

The breeder says they are 100% healthy and don't need to be treated for any disease.

So I wasn't planning on doing a QT but then they recommend it for at least 2 weeks.

My real dilema is that the tank I have avaialble for a QT is not cycled. Would it be enough to put the prefilter sponge from the established tank onto the filter of the uncycled tank? Or would that be throwing the dice?

If I really must QT them I could put all of the current inhabitants into my 55 gal tank but then I am afraid I could not bring them back since that tank has angelfish in it.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

if all you have is neons and kullis then there is no need to quarentine.

you'll only need to quarentine when you get new discus.

Just an Egg
    I forgot to mention one BN pleco....also been in there for over 7 months ( I forget about him because I never see him!)

Just an Egg
    I forgot to mention one BN pleco....also been in there for over 7 months

diseases dont often pass from one species to another very well, so i dont think you'll have a problem, the idea of quarentining is to protect your current fish from any diseases brought in by new fish, i dont think your new discus are going to give your existing fish any new diseases, and even if they did, if you lost them you'd have room for more discus

Just an Egg
    hee hee hee....you make me laugh......although.....lol

I am glad because my neons would probably not like rooming with a group of 6 angels 8)

Just an Egg
    Well, I ordered them and received the 6 I ordered. 2 were DOA, the water smelled foul, one of the 4 alive layed on the bottom for about an hour.

Then I found some internet reviews of the seller (not good...wish I found them before I ordered)

I still have the lights off so I can't see them very well.

I don't want to stress them anymore than I have to but now I kind of wish I had put them in a QT tank.

I am feeling so sad for these poor fish now I think I may have to set up an emergency hospital tank as I have read that these are trans shipped fish and I thought they were actually domestic bred fish.

I asked the owner before ordering and he claimed that all fish were quarantined prior to delivery and that none would have any disease.

Now I don't know what to believe.

I have learned an expensive lesson I guess if they all die.

Larvae
    Out of curiosity what type of discus are they?

And without mentioning the supplier which part of Australia did the discus come from?

Just an Egg
    They are Ruby Red Mosaics. (Though some of them look like red turqs to me)

Actually since I am in the US it was from a place in florida (came up in the top 5 in every internet search I did for live discus fish, silly me I thought someone who spent that much advertising their site would be reputable.)

And without saying their name I can tell you that their website name is more than just a clever title.

I have found some that had good experiences too, but largely not. He says I will get a refund for the ones that didnt make it.

The communication has been good so far via e-mail I am just scared now that these fish might have some diseases that I don't know how to treat.

Do you think I should take them out of this tank to treat them? I do have a 10 gal I can set up.

Or should I leave them in and treat the whole tank?

Since it is a planted tank it might be hard to observe the feces etc.

It says they shipped in pure R/O water which could be a reason for stress and then the acclimation says that you must just float the bags, then net them in. (which I did) so now I wont really know if their stress is from shipping or disease or what.

I am now thinking I should at least raise the temp up and maybe add salt???

Larvae
    Raising temp and adding salt could help.

I would personally not move them. Let them be in the tank that they are in - no point stressing them out even more by transporting them to yet another tank.

It is good that the company you purchased them from is willing to refund the cost of the 2 that died, and on top of that they are communicating with you via email which is doing alot more than what a really bad discus importer would do.

I personally would not medicate for ANYTHING either. You wouldn't even know what to medicate for. Leave them be until they show symptoms of something. If they do - treat accordingly. If they don't, leave them alone and just keep the water changes coming.