Thread: Tank support,

Tank support,

I have a friend who is a glass cutter and has made tank for a few of my friends and a 3ft tank for me. The largest he has done is a 4x18x18, and he he put glass along the top for cover glass aswell as support. I was want him to make me a larger tank, ie 6.5x22x22 and was wondering if the glass at the top like in all tank, would be enough to support this tank.
    Does anyone have a 6ft + tank and what support is used??
    I was wondering if the support at the top which holds the cover glass is enough or would it need some more supprt in the middle.??

Cheers
    Scott

I am guessing that you are refering to the Bridge???

(Piece of glass attached at the top to brace the side panels)

yeah will this be enough or will i need something more downthe bottom?
    Iam aware that 6fts dont have this but this will be 22inches wide which alot bigger than normal.

6ft'rs usually have 2 bridges fixed to the top, otherwise the pressure of the water will force the glass to flex and break...

Note the 2 bridges on my 6 x 2.5 x 2...

2.5 = 25inches yeah? damn that wide. just if you dont mind what did that tank set you back, it might be better me getting a pro to do it.

2.5ft = 30inches...

lets just say that tank and stand cost a bit, although thanks to one of the sponsors (Xtreme) it cost a lot less than it would of just about anywhere else... mind you that stand is huge, 900mm high plus almost 3ft wide...

Hence it not being able to fit in my apartment...

oh well, the 6 x 2 x 2 is adequate compensation for the time being...

For a tank that size, I would strongly suggest getting someone in the know to make it, for strength and to ensure they use the correct type of glass... 12mm-15mm is the best option, but VERY - VERY heavy.

30inches?!.? damn i made i mess in my pants. Well the spot iam looking at putting it can fit 7x35inchxwhatever iam thinking about 24inches high.
    Dont realy care about a cabinet just a stand. ill give a fish store in melburne a ring and see what the quote they give me.

ohhh bit more expensive then i thought just over $500 for tank and stand. Thats 6x2x2. My mates can make it but that big i dont want to risk it the biggest he has made is 4x20x20. Might look around, seems sexpensive when my mates 6x18x18 cost $350. extra $175 just for 12inches seems a bit much.

The reason for the price difference is the glass that is used...

for an 18" deep tank some people still use 6-8mm glass, (in my opinion over 6ft... very scary) for 24" deep, the minimum glass thickness should be 10mm although again, i would be asking for 12mm (15mm is price is no barrier)...

thats why such a dramatic change in price...