Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good luck.

Don't forget to post some pictures of the fry when they breed
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

for 50 fish I'd assume you need at least 3000 litres. for that much water you'd be better off using hydrochloric acid.

Just an Egg
    Yes, closer to 4000 samir. Just concerned about how much to use and the pH rebound. How long should I let it stabilise before adding it to the tank?
    Regards
    Rowland

"A fear of failure is a fear of trying"

Wrigglers

Water quality

I got told to make them (discus) adapt to the local hard and high pH water. Worked for a little while. The hybrids do fine but the wilds had issues with it. High pH in discus significantly inhibits their ability with gill osmoregulation. Use the RO but be careful - RO extracts too much solute so dont use 100% RO water or they will all be dead within 24 hrs. Another product I have use in Aust in the last 6 months is a SEACHEM product - discus buffer. Actually precipitates calcium out as a white powder for you to suck up.

Mate - if you can - put in a rainwater tank as rainwater is the key. If you use products such as pH down, remember it will increase the phosphate levels somewhat. Noticed here that wild discus hate high phosphate levels.

Squid
    Wild discus only please. Or bring back the old strains from the 80's.

Just an Egg
    Sqid, thanks for your great advice. Am going to set up a rainwater tank, but thought of running RO as back up. Won't use 100% RO.

So much to learn.....
    Regards
    Rowland

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Rowland

With regards to the choice you make, look for the simplest way to keep things consistent and stable from what is readily available to you, maybe use a fishless tank while you develop your “formula”, until you feel this will work for you. Then gradually change to this water to the tank you wish to stimulate spawning.
    Kind Regards

Just an Egg
    Thanks Pete...great advice. Now just to find a fishless tank. Should be able to do this soon.
    Regards
    Rowland

Just an Egg

Re: Water quality

Hi
    We are using pure RO for our wild discus for more than a year, and they are happy. From time to time we add some minerals to the water and only 1/2 suggested doses.
    The only suggestion I may have is, to keep heckels separate from other wilds. Heckels need pH 4,5 at the most, were others will be quite happy in pH 5,5.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid
    Use the RO but be careful - RO extracts too much solute so dont use 100% RO water or they will all be dead within 24 hrs.

Squid
    Can you please explain that? Why do you say that discus will die within 24 hours?

Barbara
    Barbara
    Member of the Polish Discus Club http://www.pkmd.pl/

Just an Egg
    Many thanks barabara
    Regards
    Rowland

Wrigglers

Wrong return

Gajowa - I accidentally hit the wrong Icon!!! . Please refer to my new thread in this sub forum (wild discussion) regrading RO . Sorry - I wasn't wearing my glasses

Squid
    Wild discus only please. Or bring back the old strains from the 80's.